Combat Style Packages

MarsStraub

I'm having trouble finding information on Combat Styles and Combat Style Packages in M-Space. For example, during character creation it tells me to choose any Cultural Combat style, but the three Cultures (Rural, Urban, and Orbit) do not list any of them. It looks like I have to come up with my own weapons and skills for it? Is there a list of ready-made skill and weapon packages elsewhere I can use for it?

Edited by MarsStraub
  • Like 1

I agree:  You need to develop your own Combat Styles.  This is how it is in base Mythras; I couldn't recall for M-SPACE, but now I have checked the book, and I couldn't find them (searched document for "package" and "combat style").

There are three extremely simplified Combat Styles in the "Simplified Combat" section, but I suggest you make your own. :-)

• Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

As M-SPACE is setting free, I didn't include any Combat Styles. But I realize a few examples would have been good. REFLUX has a handful though.

Here are some good starting points:
Infrequent Self-Defense (Blaster)
Street Fighter (Blaster, Dagger, Unarmed)
Scout Training (Blaster, Blaster Rifle, Unarmed)
Big Game Hunter (Blaster Rifle, Dagger)

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

On 3/27/2018 at 1:19 PM, clarence said:

As M-SPACE is setting free, I didn't include any Combat Styles. But I realize a few examples would have been good. REFLUX has a handful though.

Here are some good starting points:
Infrequent Self-Defense (Blaster)
Street Fighter (Blaster, Dagger, Unarmed)
Scout Training (Blaster, Blaster Rifle, Unarmed)
Big Game Hunter (Blaster Rifle, Dagger)

Alright, gotcha! Thanks so much, guys. That gives me a lot of ideas now for M-Space. Will there be an updated version of M-Space in the future? Perhaps M-Space 2nd Edition book?

• Like 1

I think that would be a good idea in general.  As an alternative, you might choose to present that list as a small, standalone product (if e.g. as author you prefer to deemphasize combat , or complexity in combat).

• Like 1

Our latest Horror Fantasy adventure has arrived.  Check out Old Bones Publishing on DriveThruRPG.com!

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, MarsStraub said:

It looks like I have to come up with my own weapons and skills for it? Is there a list of ready-made skill and weapon packages elsewhere I can use for it?

Yes. I made some packages, and used examples from Reflux, they are in the pregens I posted; usually I would give a player 3-4 weapon options, including unarmed combat. Reality-wise, I would just assign soldier skills, and that would include all weapons from the Soldier's Manual of Common Tasks, maybe the 3 or 4 are their preferred weapons and the others are a step up in difficulty to use.

• Like 1

On 2018-03-29 at 4:31 PM, Matt_E said:

I think that would be a good idea in general.  As an alternative, you might choose to present that list as a small, standalone product (if e.g. as author you prefer to deemphasize combat , or complexity in combat).

Yes, I do try to keep violence at a minimum. But including example Combat Styles in the companion shouldn't be a problem, as most of the other content is not focused on combat. 

And I almost forgot there are six pre-gens for download on our website. Check the download section, at the bottom of the list. 

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

On 3/29/2018 at 1:42 AM, clarence said:

No plans yet for a second edition, but the M-SPACE Companion is in the works. I could include a list of example combat styles - would that be useful?

I would throw together a d/l'able 2-3 page freebie discussing CS'es in M-Space & laying out some options/examples.  Because if someone needs that support to make the core game playable, you don't want to have to point to a whole 'nother book and say, "oh yeah, you gotta buy that book for this necessary bit."

I mean... yeah, sure, include it in the Companion; by all means do!  But (maybe as early promo / teaser?) make it available as a freebie.

my .02 fwiw

(also fwiw -- I don't particularly feel the need of such support; I already feel like I have a handle on CS'es and options for them (also, I have my own HR-variants as I dislike CS'es in the  RAW)

Edited by g33k
titular mod

C'es ne pas un .sig