Starting Passions & Homeland Base Passions

Cawdorthane

Page 26 states under the heading 'Starting Passions':

As a member of a Homeland, your adventurer starts with three Passions at 60%.

Then on page 27 there is a box entitled "BASE HOMELAND PASSIONS'. listing three Passions for each of the main starting Homelands

Must a pc's starting passions be taken from the box entitled "BASE HOMELAND PASSIONS'?  So if I start with a Sartarite PC, I must take Love (Family) and Loyalty (Clan) & (Tribe) or can I chose other Passions as an alternative (noting that I will gain other Passions anyway as I work through the PC generation process)?

cheers

Mark

Let's not argue.2.jpg

Nice handle.  I'll let you know if I see any walking trees. :)

First rule of Glorantha:  YGMV (Your Game May Vary)...the second being MGF (Maximum Game Fun).  Or maybe they're 1A and 1B.

Do it however you want.  The rules aren't set in stone.

Edited by Yelm's Light

As noted, it's YOUR game.  The only "wrong" way to play it is to not-have-fun.

That said, I would be dubious about completely abandoning the Homeland passions:  they are meant to embed characters into their cultures, into the world.  Exiles and loners tend to be ... kinda fragile PC's in Glorantha, without clan or Cult.  No advanced training, no advanced magic, etc etc etc.

If you envision alternative ways to do that, great!

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks for the lightning swift replies. 

For my part, I had no particular intention to abandon or depart from the Base Homeland Passions, but the rules as written just seemed a little unclear to me as to whether they were strictly mandatory or not.  My group will shortly be generating RQG characters, most of us having played a lot of RQ2 back in the early-mid 1980's and a bit of the Avalon Hill RQ3 edition in the later 1980's, and so we are fairly well versed in Glorantha.  But players being players, they will no doubt try to gently push the boundaries where they can.  So I wanted to gain a feel for what other groups were doing.  Having read the RQG rules, I am inclined to agree that the character generation system looks cleverly designed to place the PC's deep into the Dragon Pass milieu and so I intend as GM to tinker with things as little as possible.

cheers

Mark

Let's not argue.2.jpg

4 hours ago, Yelm's Light said:

First rule of Glorantha:  YGMV (Your Game May Vary)...the second being MGF (Maximum Game Fun).  Or maybe they're 1A and 1B.

Do it however you want.  The rules aren't set in stone.

Exactly. 

Starting Passions are meant to ground characters in the world and to emphasize cultural norms. If you don't feel the suggested ones are appropriate, then change them (with the GM's approval, of course). You can always add a new Passion during play, if something provokes it, as per the rules on page 236-7. 

They're meant to emphasize roleplaying, not to throttle it. 

As other have said, do whatever seems right.

The base Homeland passions are just suggestions, for players who aren't ready to use different passions.

If your players want different ones, then that is great. I wouldn't "allow" them to take the passions, in fact I wouldn't even comment on their passions, whatever they want to have is fine by me.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 7/4/2018 at 1:40 AM, Cawdorthane said:

Whatever enhances the roleplaying experience needs to be King, always remembering the delicate but essential balance between naughty and nice as GM...

Always naughty, never nice, that is how I'd like to GM.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here