Hit Location of damage after shield parry

Jim

I’m seeking clarification that my Search (Forum) 5% skill has not found so far...

Regarding a successful parry on P.198 of RQG it states “... or referring to the Hield Hit Location table (page 219). In most cases, a hit to a shield damages the arm wielding it” while P..218 in Notes on Shield Use it is stated “Any damage taken by the shield above what the shield can absorb in one blow is inflicted on the hit location originally rolled in the attack”.

Unless I’m missing some context or an example I’ve not found so far, I’m not sure which to apply regarding melee.

I could probably argue is both ways depending on the phase of the moon or amount of ale consumed, but what I’m after is any official clarification so far rather than starting a long discussion thread on which option is more “real”.

• Like 1

In melee, the rule on p.218 is applied - the shield's protective value is deducted from the damage to the rolled location.

The Shield Hit Location table is the text version of the graphics on p.218 and refers to missile hits that aren't parried but simply blocked because the shield was in the way. If the missile hits one of these locations, the shield protective value is deducted from the damage to the hit location covered by the shield. If any other location is hit, the shield used gains no benefits from carrying the shield in question.

I would allow shield bearers in partial cover to use the shield actively to protect a head peering over a palisade, even with a small shield. No roll required, but one parry used up.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Obviously my real world experience has no bearing on the rules, but nearly three decades of martial arts experience has taught me that when holding a kick shield (about 10cm of padding), strong kicks don't hurt the arm holding it, but instead hurt whatever part of my body lies behind the arm.  Frequently this is because my arm is forced hard against my body.  Though my arm seems to take the punishment without problems, my ribs aren't so fortunate.  It is common to put more padding (such as a focus mitt) between your arm and body to provide extra protection.

And then there are the injuries caused by techniques such as a front kick done incorrectly which can force the kick shield upwards and into the face of a careless but helpful holder who has their head forward trying to see what the attacker is doing wrong with their technique.

5 hours ago, Mechashef said:

Obviously my real world experience has no bearing on the rules, but nearly three decades of martial arts experience has taught me that when holding a kick shield (about 10cm of padding), strong kicks don't hurt the arm holding it, but instead hurt whatever part of my body lies behind the arm.  Frequently this is because my arm is forced hard against my body.  Though my arm seems to take the punishment without problems, my ribs aren't so fortunate.  It is common to put more padding (such as a focus mitt) between your arm and body to provide extra protection.

And then there are the injuries caused by techniques such as a front kick done incorrectly which can force the kick shield upwards and into the face of a careless but helpful holder who has their head forward trying to see what the attacker is doing wrong with their technique.

Generally we're talking about both heavier shields and more armor on a PC.  Also, use of a shield isn't a passive process; the user is providing forward momentum to block and/or deflect incoming blows.