Countermagic complications

PhilHibbs

I can see the countermagic if a warding stacking with shield and countermagic. I think I was reading the bit about ‘across the barrier’ meaning at the point it crosses it, before hitting a target, but that’s not necessarily the case. I think it works better if it just stacks.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

5 hours ago, simonh said:

In the example the Lightning has a total of 10 points, so it goes through the 6 points of countermagic effect in the warding when it crosses the boundary, then the 10 points go through the 8 points of total countermagic effect on the (shield 2 plus countermagic 4) taking both down in the process. The protection points of the Shield spell don’t take effect because it’s down already.

So you would not stack the effects? Fair enough, you are probably right that they don't stack.

Oh, just saw your last post. Hm. I still think they should be separate.

Edited by PhilHibbs

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

So you would not stack the effects? Fair enough, you are probably right that they don't stack.

Oh, just saw your last post. Hm. I still think they should be separate.

It’s not clear. Initially I interpreted as meaning the effect happens at the point the spell crosses the boundary, but in fact it only really seems to mean it takes effect if the spell is cast across the boundary.

its ambiguous but I think so would prefer it  to just stack, so since it’s open to interpretation, that’s the interpretation I’d like to go with.

Warding doesn’t actually say it’s compatible with it stacks with other spells,  so again I suppose it’s up for interpretation either way.

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

• 3 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Countermagic has no effect on Detect spells. If you cast Detect Gold, you are aware of the gold armor Rurik Runespear is wearing - even if he has Shield 4 cast!

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

There is a spell called Detection Blank that will appear in a later book associated with another cult(s) which handles not being detected.

So that's officially resolved. I still like the dramatic tension of the answer "You detect one enemy, but then your spell dies. There's at least one more out there, who must have some kind of magical protection", with Countermagic not being taken down by Detect.

Edited by PhilHibbs

8 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

So that's officially resolved. I still like the dramatic tension of the answer "You detect one enemy, but then your spell dies. There's at least one more out there, who must have some kind of magical protection", with Countermagic not being taken down by Detect.

As an aside, this is why I would like people to only post Actual Questions That Come Up In Game and Can't Be Resolved With A Modicum of Common Sense to the RQ Questions thread. 

• Like 4