Jump to content
jagerfury

Rogue Mistress stats

Recommended Posts

If you mean stats for the ship, in White Wolf/Sailing on the Seas of Fate format, no they don't exist. Based on the description I can  come up with something if you need them. But, as it can fly, has cannon, and is at least partially armored it can probably fly circles around and shoot up any ship in the Young Kingdoms while being untouchable. There aren't any deckplans the book either, but you could use something similar. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is what I thought. Thanks for the answer. I only have a PDF copy of this book so wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. So how do you think a fight between this ship and a black galley manned by the Men from Leng and the Moon-Beasts turn out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tough to say, since you're mixing authors and universes. My initial though is that the Rogue Mistress is probably more maneuverable, and I think, better armed. At least I don't think the black galleys have anything like cannon or lasers. But the black galleys can sail from the Dream Lands to the Moon, so they must be pretty fast to cover approximately 240,000 miles in any sort of reasonable time. Do you have any idea how long it takes for a black galley to make that trip?

In a boarding action I figure the crew of the Rogue Mistress are probably outclassed matched physically, at least by the Moon-Beasts, but they do seem to be better skilled, and Moon-Beast and Men from Leng are some of the Lovecraft nasties that can be hurt by normal weapons. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Tough to say, since you're mixing authors and universes. My initial though is that the Rogue Mistress is probably more maneuverable, and I think, better armed. At least I don't think the black galleys have anything like cannon or lasers. But the black galleys can sail from the Dream Lands to the Moon, so they must be pretty fast to cover approximately 240,000 miles in any sort of reasonable time. Do you have any idea how long it takes for a black galley to make that trip?

In a boarding action I figure the crew of the Rogue Mistress are probably outclassed matched physically, at least by the Moon-Beasts, but they do seem to be better skilled, and Moon-Beast and Men from Leng are some of the Lovecraft nasties that can be hurt by normal weapons. 

 

I'm pretty sure the Dreamlands Moon is not as distant (or necessarily as big) as the real one. After all, the Cats of Ulthar can jump to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jeffjerwin said:

I'm pretty sure the Dreamlands Moon is not as distant (or necessarily as big) as the real one. After all, the Cats of Ulthar can jump to it.

It's a tough call, as the Dreamslands, by their nature, don't adhere to the normal laws of reality.

Also, while I didn't think of it earlier, I support a galley that can fly through space could build up speed with constant acceleration. So the black galleys could be fairly slow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the the multi-dimensional ship a stronger vessel with superior firepower. Except for the Moon-Beasts. If these horrors come to grip with your crew then they are finished. The Rogue Mistress no longer has people to operate it. The galley has got to be a tough, resilient vessel too. But it has a weakness. Disable the ship's oars and it loses its speed and mobility. On a first encounter the edge goes to the black galley. After that, the multi-dimensional sailing  brig would know what to do to neutralize the vessel without engaging the Moon-Beasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jagerfury said:

I see the the multi-dimensional ship a stronger vessel with superior firepower. Except for the Moon-Beasts. If these horrors come to grip with your crew then they are finished. The Rogue Mistress no longer has people to operate it. The galley has got to be a tough, resilient vessel too. But it has a weakness. Disable the ship's oars and it loses its speed and mobility. On a first encounter the edge goes to the black galley. After that, the multi-dimensional sailing  brig would know what to do to neutralize the vessel without engaging the Moon-Beasts.

That seems logical to me. Basically, if the crew of the Rogue Mistress have any idea of what they are up against, they could just keep their distance and blast the black galley into bits, assuming the galley isn't faster. But we don't know how fast those Moon-Beast can row a Black Galley. Reason would suggest not more than 10-15 knots, maybe 20 on the outside, and the Rogue Mistress should be much faster than that, but Lovecraftian stuff doesn't exactly adhere to the normal laws of physics. And it's possible the the black galley could be armed with some sort of weird weapon like a Moon-Catapult or something, which could open up a whole new can of "what ifs". 

The biggest pitfall for the Rogue Mistress, as a pirate ship, it's standard tactic would probably be the absolute worse thing it could do. Namely to try and board the galley while inflicting the least amount of damage to it. So I suspect that Captain Maria and her friends would probably be surprised and over matched. They'd probably lose some people and retreat back to the Rogue Mistress and then fire the cannon into the galley at point blank range. And that's assuming they are so used to strange beings that they don't have to make any SAN rolls.  

 

Adventure-wise, it might be a good idea for the PCs to encounter the Rouge Mistress after such an encounter. Maybe even team up with Maria to try and rescue those who didn't make it back to the ship-maybe even her friend Hilda? A group of PCs  from the Young Kingdoms, armed with Demon Weapons, could really turn the tide in a boarding action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×