New here

Carew

Hi. Found this forum because of Runequest Glorantha, but I've played Mithras before after playing Legend, so its good to see that Mithras and Legend are both supported here. We're starting a new Runequest Glorantha campaign and using those rules, but I wanted to know how compatible Mithras and Legend adventures will be with RQG because I don't really know how to start a Glorantha campaign. I thought I might try some of the Spider Gods Bride adventures, which is Xoth, but also thought I might try some of the Quests book adventures from Mithras but set in Glorantha. Will that work? Not sure.

Also, I have two players who have played in my Legend and Mithras campaigns who are now going to try RQG. The combat system for RQG looks different but also faster. Passions I know from Mithras, and they seem similar. My question is, do I use Runequest for my campaign or Mithras rules? Read through the RQG rules and not sure which way to go but the background rocks, so would like advice from the experience people here.

Happy gaming!

Hi, and welcome!

I see folks playing in Glorantha using Mythras; you likely want to look at the "Notes from Pavis" blog, it has a LOT of good content for this.

I also see Mythras players who conclude that the new RQG content is just sooooo darned good for Glorantha that they'll play RQG for Glorantha and Mythras for everything else.

And I see some hybridizers, using substantial portions of each game to play in their own Glorantha, upholding a long and glorious "FrankenBRP" tradition.

Go with whichever most appeals to you and your table.  Honestly... there are no bad choices here!

Legend & Mythras adventures should be pretty easy to convert to RQG, but note the Mythras "Luck Points" give a survival buffer that doesn't exist in the Chaosium ruleset.

For RQG-native content, you can grab the Quickstart (it's a free PFF), and there's a lot of stuff in the "GM Screen Pack" (only available in PDF right now, but it should be in Chaosium fulfillment centers "soon").  Also, a vast suite of RQ2 content is easily converted!

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

As g33k says, it should be fine. If you get the QuickStart you can see the similarities and differences. You could, for example, leave out luck points if you want a pretty gritty experience or leave then in if you want a little more player agency. Passions can cover rune affinities, or you could port over the rune affinities directly. It should work just fine. BRP as a whole is extremely good for this sort of work 

Also, if you're playing RQG -- and liking it, mostly -- but decide you also really like "luck points" (or any other bits of Mythras, just making an example of that one)... simply add them into your RQG game!  You may want to bump the opposition a bit, or not, to suit tastes at the table...

All the different flavors & variants & subsystems of BRP play well together, with only minor adjustments.

Similarly -- but more substantively -- RQG rules for Runes could be added into Mythras...  "MythRQG" ?

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

28 minutes ago, g33k said:

Also, if you're playing RQG -- and liking it, mostly -- but decide you also really like "luck points" (or any other bits of Mythras, just making an example of that one)... simply add them into your RQG game!  You may want to bump the opposition a bit, or not, to suit tastes at the table...

All the different flavors & variants & subsystems of BRP play well together, with only minor adjustments.

Similarly -- but more substantively -- RQG rules for Runes could be added into Mythras...  "MythRQG" ?

We've yet to play but have started making characters, and already hitting some issues. One character wants to be a sorceress from this Ralios place, but there's no detailed character guidance like for Sartar characters, so not sure what to do. My players do like luck points so they'll probably go in, and the combat system too, which we have used since Legend. So it may be that we use the background and some of the spells maybe, but more or less use Mythras. I don't know yet. I have been reading the posts on the Runequest forum here and there seem to be lots of gaps in the rules and confusing rulings around magic and combat so may be better to ignore RQG system altogether. We will try an adventure and see how it goes.

19 hours ago, Carew said:

We're starting a new Runequest Glorantha campaign and using those rules, but I wanted to know how compatible Mithras and Legend adventures will be with RQG because I don't really know how to start a Glorantha campaign. I thought I might try some of the Spider Gods Bride adventures, which is Xoth, but also thought I might try some of the Quests book adventures from Mithras but set in Glorantha. Will that work? Not sure.

They are fairly compatible.

What I do when running scenarios from various D100 systems is to use the scenarios and stats as they are and only change them when they are important.

So, for example, I use the Hot Points per location and Hit Point Location tables used in the supplements, regardless of whether the system I am currently using has the same rules to generate them. I roll D20 and  use what is written down, if players roll D20 and say a different location then I just use the location name. Same for weapon stats, I just use them as they are in the supplement. For skills, just use the ones in the supplements and ignore any conversion.

For things that need to be recalculated, I do it on the fly and quickly. Strike Ranks are the biggest one here, as Legend/Mythras use different Strike Ranks. Just keep the SR Calculator handy. For spells, I either use them as they are in the supplement or choose the equivalent in the system that I am using.

You mentioned Luck Points in a later thread, just use them in RQG. I use Hero Points from Legend and use them for Experience as in HeroQuest, for example. My players just love Hero Points, especially as I allow them to reroll as many times as they have Hero Points, if they spend 5 Hero Points to make a skill roll then they consider that as having been very difficult and memorable, a real struggle.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

19 hours ago, Carew said:

Also, I have two players who have played in my Legend and Mithras campaigns who are now going to try RQG. The combat system for RQG looks different but also faster. Passions I know from Mithras, and they seem similar. My question is, do I use Runequest for my campaign or Mithras rules? Read through the RQG rules and not sure which way to go but the background rocks, so would like advice from the experience people here.

Use whichever system you feel comfortable with.

I am currently using skills from Revolution D100 with a lot of rules from RQG in my Dark Ages campaign and it is working out well.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Well, I have read through the magic and combat chapters in RQG and also looked at the many question topics on the Runequest forum on this site. The combat rules looks to have a lot of inconsistencies and inaccuracies and the whole strike rank thing is far more complicated than we like. It is a bit troubling that the game designer says something different to what is in the rules or seems to interpret the rules differently. I will probably use Mythras as our basic system and then just use Glorantha cults and local color with some of the history. We may use Hero abilities from Legend too, because some of those are quite cool, and I might make them a cult gift or something.

Thank you for all the helpful advice.