Pendragon Design Notes on Chaosium.com

MOB

In the first PENDRAGON DESIGN NOTES on the Chaosium blog, line editor David Larkins talks about the genesis of the Book of Feasts. With the Feasts Deck in hand, the important medieval and literary tradition of feasting comes to your KAP game in an entertaining fashion.

https://www.chaosium.com/blogpendragon-design-notes-the-book-of-feasts

Book-of-Feasts_-_Front_Cover__27581.1539709392_1280_1280.thumb.jpg.0c7fc3b78bd4662adfc83f5091efa1cc.jpg

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, SilverSeraph said:

This seems to be a great system.  I'm just starting to build up my KAP collection, as I'd regrettably never heard of it until last year's Gen Con.  Would love to be able to get a saddle stitched version of this book from Lulu to go with the premium cards from DTRPG.

I suspect Chaosium will either come out with a print version or add a print of demand version on Drivethru. 

The good news is that you only need the first 14 pages or so to run a feast, with the rest being details on the food, entertainment, an adventure, and so on. And most of the stuff on the first 14 pages you don't need once you get familiar with the feast rules. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I'm not entirely sure how these cards work. See "Merrily Did He Run!" which is Modest vs Proud.

In KAP for Trait Disputes (page 87), you would roll Modest and if that failed, roll Proud. If that also failed you had free choice how to act. Is this how it is meant to be with these cards? If both rolls fail you get to pick?

Although they say "wins" rather than succeeds which makes it sound like an opposed roll. Where you roll both traits at the same time, which ever is successful and rolls the highest "wins", is this how they are intended to be played? I assume in this case if both rolls failed then the Knight would get a free choice?

2 hours ago, TerryTroll said:

Although they say "wins" rather than succeeds which makes it sound like an opposed roll. Where you roll both traits at the same time, which ever is successful and rolls the highest "wins", is this how they are intended to be played? I assume in this case if both rolls failed then the Knight would get a free choice?

This is correct; it's an opposed roll. If both rolls fail, then nothing happens—you don't react, in this example, and neither gain nor lose Geniality.

1 hour ago, TerryTroll said:

Is there anywhere in the text that says this? I've not spotted it. In standard play the player is free to choose how his character reacts if both rolls fail.

In standard play, you wouldn't normally oppose a trait with it's opposite, you'd check to see if you passed one and if you failed, roll for the opposite. 

In Feasts you rolling to see which of the opposing traits wins out, and if you get any appropriate checks. While in normal play a character who fails two opposing traits is free to choose how he acts, he doesn't get the checks associated with a a successful opposed roll. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.