Orlanth Adventerous Rune Magic

RHW

Continuing my posting of my conversions of Feats from Storm Tribe/Thunder Rebels to RQ Rune Magic. It occurred to me that in order to better understand the subcults, I should post the overall cult.

Again, this is a conversion of HQ/HW into RQ with house rules. YGMV.

The way it worked in our house rules was that each character, upon initiation into their god, chose 1 subcult of their god to specialize in. Orlanth Adventurous Initiates could choose for example:

Destor the Adventurer

Vangarth the Flier

Maskatos Mover

Ulanin the Rider

And many more.

Further subcults could be added by doing something extraordinary, usually a heroquest. Associate Cult magic as per RQ.

So here's the baseline Orlanth Adventurous:

SKILL AND CHARACTERISTICS:

Orlanth is a brave and heroic god who combines independence and individuality with honor, generosity and responsibility.  Orlanth initiates are always men, though Vinga has many of the same subcults and abilities and is worshiped by women.

Cult Personality Skills:  Responsible, Active, Proud, Boastful

Cult Specialty Skills: Woad Use (Manip), Mythology of Orlanth (Know), Mythology of the Thunder Brothers (Kn), Mythology of the Lightbringers (Kn), Predict Weather (Perc)

Woad Use  (Manipulation Skill) Using this skill, the character can both brew and apply woad, a semi-permanent blue dye.  Woad has two effects, it prevents the character from bleeding from either bleed effects or from failing heroic rolls and if worn, Woad Use grants a free augment to Intimidate.  When dealing with Theyalans (Storm Tribe Cultures), it also augments Orate, Rally Troops, Rule Kingdom, Demagogue, or other similar personality skills as a free action.  Applied Woad acts as an automatic negative augment to Fast Talk and similar personality skills when dealing with Lunars, Dara Happans, or other cultures who fear or hate Theyalans.  Woad lasts a number of days equal to the potency or until the character puts on armor or bathes.  Normal woad is non magical, but see BLESS WOAD.

Predict Weather (Perception Skill) This skill gives the Orlanthi the ability to predict the weather.  With a success, the Orlanthi can predict the weather at Skill/5 hours in advance.  Hitting the target number gives a general impression (“rainy”).  A special success provides more accurate weather predictions for an entire day.  (Heavy rain in the morning, light rain in the afternoon). A Crit provides extremely specific information for the next 2 days.  ("Heavy rain around 6 am, tapering off about 9, light rain until noon, sporadic showers until 3")

CULT BATTLE MAGIC:  Bladesharp, Demoralize, Detect Enemies, Disruption, Heal, Mindspeach, Mobility, Strength.  Orlanth Adventurous’s specialty spell is Mobility.

Runic Metals allowed:  Airmetal (magical “tin”), Deathmetal (magical “iron’), Star Metal (magical “silver”)

COMMON RUNE MAGIC:  All

RUNES: Storm, Mobility, Death

ORLANTH ADVENTUROUS’ COMMON SPELLS

(these are available to all worshipers regardless of subcult)

DEATH RUNE SPELLS:

BLESS WOAD, SHIELD 

FLICKERING BLADE (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt)  Charges a blade with electrical energy.  Each pt. gives a Blade weapon (only) +1d6 to damage. 

OVERBEAR FOE (Rune Magic, Stackable, adjacent foe only, 1 pt)  Swirling winds blast an adjacent foe.  If the caster succeeds in a POW vs Siz roll, target is knocked prone.  For each 10% of success below the target number, the target is also knocked back 1 hex. Each additional pt adds an additional adjacent target or +5 to POW for the resistance check.

WIND THROW  (Rune Magic, Self, 1 pt)  While under the effect of this spell, the caster’s thrown weapons have double normal range.  Each additional pt adds another 1x.  So 2 pts triples range, 3 pts = 4x, 4 pts = 5x

MOVEMENT RUNE MAGIC

TELEPORT,  WORSHIP LIGHTBRINGERS, WORSHIP THUNDER BROTHERS

GREAT LEAP (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt)  Per point, +10% jump skill per pt and +3m jump distance.

RUN LIKE THE WIND (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt)  Doubles the target’s running speed. Additional pts raise speed by another 1x (ie 2 pts = 3x, 3pts = 4x, 4pts = 5x).

RUN ON MUD (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt)  The target can move on mud or boggy terrain at his normal move rate.

RUN UP CLIFFS (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt)  The target can move up any level of gradient (up to 90 degrees) at her normal movement.  If the target stops or stands still, she loses the benefit of this spell.

Edited by RHW
Boggles! Always Boggles.
  • Like 1

Great stuff.

To save some time, have you seen my conversion of Hero Wars Cults, which also includes most of the HeroQuest cults? It doesn't include mythology or cult structure, but does include converted spells and skills.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

21 hours ago, soltakss said:

Great stuff.

To save some time, have you seen my conversion of Hero Wars Cults, which also includes most of the HeroQuest cults? It doesn't include mythology or cult structure, but does include converted spells and skills.

Nice work! Fun seeing which feats you made skills, spirit magic, and divine vs how I assigned those same feats. Also interesting to see how we both interpreted the same spell similarly but with different approaches. Your version and my version of LAST GASP RECOVERY both cost 3 POW, both can save the Wind Lord from death, for example, but yours is much more powerful, but one-use.

And that's it for Orlanth Adventurous subcults I worked up. Subcults not covered in detail:

FINOVAN THE RAIDER

(God of Cattle Raiders and Bandits)

Rune Lords must have a POW of 15+, 50%+ in Mythology (Orlanth) and 90%+ in 5 cult skills.  Finovan Magic includes:

BEAST RUNE:  Attract Herd, Camouflage Animal, Hide Animal Tracks, Silence Herd Animal.

STORM RUNE:  Call Thunder, Lightning, Great Parry.

SECRET:  Cattle Raider (allows Beast Rune Spells to affect all herd animals in range)

NISKIS THE LOVER

(God of Lovers)

Not normally a PC subcult.  Rune Levels are Priests.  There are very, very few Rune Levels of Niskis.  Most Orlanthi who want his benefits sacrifice for his spells as One-Use.

CULT SKILLS:  Amorous, Go Without Sleep, Courtesan, Seduction

LIFE RUNE SPELLS:  Caress of Passion, Endearing Eyes, Handsome Stranger, Stay Awake, Virility.

MOVEMENT RUNE SPELLS:  Escape Bedroom

NISKIS’ SECRET:  Please Woman

ORMALAYA THE HUNTER

(Hunter God)

Another subcult with limited PC appeal, though it could work for ambushers and snipers.  Rune levels are Priests.  Yinkin, Foundchild, and Odayla are all more popular as hunting gods, so Ormalaya Priests are rare. In fact, there are more Sartarite clans that honor Zong than Ormalaya. Rune levels are Rune Lords called Hunters with the usual requirements.

CULT SKILLS:  Remain Motionless

BEAST RUNE SPELLS:  Attract Prey Animal, Conceal Hunter, Hide Scent, Invisible Pitfall.

MOVEMENT SPELLS:  Avoid Claws, Run Up Trees, Sureshot

SECRET:  Track Prey Over Any Terrain (so long as the Hunter is successfully tracking, his movement is not inhibited by terrain.  Anything his prey can move over, he can move over.)

ORVANSHAGOR DRAGONSLAYER

(Orlanth the Dragonkiller)

Rune levels are Rune Lords called Dragonslayers with the usual requirements.  Dragonslayers roll 1d10 for DI.  Treefell clan has no Orvanshagor worshippers and never will.  Why?  You ask too many questions.

CULT SKILLS:  Draconic Lore, Understand Wyrmtongue.

DEATH RUNE MAGIC:  Lightning Fast Strike, Pierce Dragon Armor, Scorn Dragon Wound, Shield Soul, Swallow Fear

MOVEMENT RUNE MAGIC: Dodge Dragon Breath, Leap Onto Dragon

SECRET:  Find Dragon Weakness

TATOUTH THE SCOUT

(God of Scouts and Spies)

Rune levels are Rune Lords called Rangers.

CULT SKILLS: Cautious, Curious, Scout (Terrain)

SPIRIT RUNE MAGIC:  See Spirits, Hide from Spirit.

MOVEMENT RUNE MAGIC: Find Path, Long Seeing, Remember Route,  Soft Landing, Rock-Jumping

SECRET:  Return Home

VARANORLANTH

(Orlanth the Wild, God of Savages)

Vananorlanth is the form Orlanth took when he first explored the world, living as a lone savage in the wilderness.  Certain very remote clans high in the mountains still worship this form of Orlanth, but, other than that, his worship is rare. 

Vananorlanth Rune Levels are Rune Lords, theoretically, though most Varanorlanth worship is shamanic, which means that worshipers have vast access to spirits and spirit magic, but limited rune magic.  Such shamanic worshipers have access only to the subcult rune spells; they cannot learn Orlanth’s common rune spells, not even One-Use.  Bless Woad is an exception to this rule.  Varanorlanth invented Woad.

Vananorlanth Rune Lords are called Wild Winds.  They must have 50%+ Mythology Orlanth, a 15 POW, and 90%+ in Any Weapon Attack, Any Weapon Parry or Dodge, and any 3 of the following:  Run, Jump, Climb, Swim, Craft Stone Tools, Craft Flint Weapons, Thrown Weapon, Brave,  Brave, Unpredictable, Self Sufficient, Mythology Orlanth, Scout (Terrain), Track, Animal Lore, or Plant Lore.

CULT SKILLS:  Craft Stone Tools, Craft Flint Weapons

CULT PERSONALITY SKILLS:  Brave, Unpredictable, Self-Sufficient

STORM RUNE MAGIC: Wild Strength, Wind Running

MOVEMENT RUNE MAGIC:  Avoid Enemies, Burrow in Earth, Find Food, Find Water, Sense Danger,  Outrun Pursuit

SECRET:  Survive Anywhere

VINGKOT CHAMPION

(Troll Fighter)

Vingkot has several different subcults dedicated to fighting various ancient foes.  These subcults are highly specialized.  Vingkot Champion is focused on fighting trolls. Treefell clan has an ancient treaty with trolls to aid each other against elves, so no clan member may join this subcult.  A few clans very close to Troll Lands support fulltime Vingkot Champion worshipers.  See Vingkot Victorious under Orlanth Thunderous for a sample Vingkot cult.  Vingkot Champion Rune Levels are Rune Lords with d10 DI.

CULT SKILLS:  Troll Lore, Sense Ambush

LIGHT RUNE SPELLS:  Break Bludgeons, Bright Spear, Cripple Troll, Scatter Shadows, See in Dark

STORM RUN SPELLS:  Tooth-Shattering Armor, Worship Vingkot

SECRET: I Fought, We Won.

On 3/24/2019 at 9:47 PM, RHW said:

Another subcult with limited PC appeal, though it could work for ambushers and snipers.  Rune levels are Priests.  Yinkin, Foundchild, and Odayla are all more popular as hunting gods, so Ormalaya Priests are rare.

So, as I understand it, an Initiate of Orlanth Adventurous who chose Ormalaya as a subcult would have access to all the Orlanth Adventurous rune spells and also all of Ormalaya's. Which makes it a lot more attractive than Odalya or Yinkin (isn't Foundchild a Praxian Hunter God?) In Storm Tribe, this is offset somewhat by having sub-cults of Odalya and Yinkin, making them more powerful. I think you'd need to do this in order to balance things out. Otherwise, all the Hunter types will go for Ormalaya. The only advantages to Odalya and Yinkin I can see is the shape-shifting.

7 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

I don't think that these sub-cults are designed to work the same way as RQG sub-cults (where you get all the main cult magic as well).

Each character is intended to get the magic from one main cult and one (and only one) subcult as well. Unlike in the RQG rulesas I read them, getting another subcult is supposed to be rare and heroic.

12 hours ago, Steve3742 said:

So, as I understand it, an Initiate of Orlanth Adventurous who chose Ormalaya as a subcult would have access to all the Orlanth Adventurous rune spells and also all of Ormalaya's. Which makes it a lot more attractive than Odalya or Yinkin (isn't Foundchild a Praxian Hunter God?) In Storm Tribe, this is offset somewhat by having sub-cults of Odalya and Yinkin, making them more powerful. I think you'd need to do this in order to balance things out. Otherwise, all the Hunter types will go for Ormalaya. The only advantages to Odalya and Yinkin I can see is the shape-shifting.

Yinkin and Odalya have their own subcult and each character gets to choose on there as well. I’ll do Yinkin next so you can see how it worked in my game.

And yes, Foundchild is Praxian. Also IMG venerated by baboons and shamanisticly inclined Kolating clans in places like the Verge and by Pol Joni. YGMV

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RHW said:

Yinkin and Odalya have their own subcult and each character gets to choose on there as well. I’ll do Yinkin next so you can see how it worked in my game.

Looking forward to it.

IMHO, a lot of the sub-cults given in Thunder Rebels are to allow an Orlanth worshipper to take on some of the abilities of another God, which is particularly useful in a community too small to support another god's cult. So, for example, we have Andrin the Lawspeaker, who will be the Lawspeaker in a small village where they'd never be able to support the cult of Lankhor Mhy. But the need for a Lawspeaker is still there, hence Andrin. Likewise, Harst the Reeve took on Issaries' functions, and so on.

Now the point I'm trying to make is that whereas Andrin or Harst are fine for a small village, once we get to larger communities we start seeing Lankhor Mhy and Issaries. And these should be better than Andrin or Harst, certainly at their speciality (Lawspeaking and Trade). In a similar vein, both Odalya and Yinkin should be better hunters than Ormalaya. (Although, in their case, it's not necessarily urban population growth that means their cult pops up, but a community that, for whatever reason, relies a lot on hunting. Every village has probably got a hunter or two and they'd likely be Ormalaya. But a frontier region with poor arable land would have a lot of hunters and here we'd see Odalya and Yinkin. Because the community needs better hunters and has enough hunters to support their cults.)

2 hours ago, RHW said:

Foundchild is Praxian. Also IMG venerated by baboons and shamanisticly inclined Kolating clans in places like the Verge and by Pol Joni. YGMV

Well, yes, the baboons. And the Pol Joni would have a lot of contact with the Praxians, so possibly there. But Kolating communities are still Orlanthi in culture and you'd figure they'd still tell tales of the brave hunting brothers, Odalya and Ormalaya, children of Orlanth and the Lady of the Wild, along with tales of Orlanth's brother, Yinkin the Shadowcat, son of Fralar, King of the Carnivores. But, as you say, YGMV.

Edited by Steve3742
Punctuation
  • Like 1