Renaissance: Definitive

StevenGEmsley

So, I’ve begun my project.  Possibly quite daft, but I’ve started.

See, for years…ever since TSR released A Mighty Fortress in their Historical series for AD&D...I’ve gamed in that era and milieu. Even if I’ve GM’d straight fantasy with goblins and dragons, it’s always been set in pike-and-shot era Europe.  However, AD&D was woefully inappropriate to the period, so I’ve always adapted.

Then Renaissance came along and, as a ruleset it was perfect.  And because it was BRP, I could nick from all kinds of different sources.

However, one thing I dislike in play, particularly when players aren’t all au fait with the rules is to say “okay guys, character generation is in this book here…there are a couple more skills in this book, and some more factions in this book and this book and those notes, and…”

See what I mean?

So, I have Renaissance: Deluxe, Dark Streets, Clockwork & Chivalry, Clockwork & Cthulhu, A Clockwork of Orange (oh, those factions!!), Pirates & Dragons, various incarnations of Call of Cthulhu and Runequest, Cthulhu Britannica: Folklore, dozens of magazine articles and of course HR4: A Mighty Fortress all in pdf.

And I have Adobe Acrobat.

So my project is to compile a single document, organised so all the relevant information is in the right chapters, all cross-referenced and properly indexed, all looking nice and pretty, with all the options in there (a chapter on the Mythos, a chapter on Clockwork, a chapter on folklore, a chapter on witches and so on).  And then get a copy printed up into a single, probably stupidly expensive, hardcover for personal use.

Is that weird?  Yep, that’s weird.  However, it’s a weird hobby and I’m a weird guy, so…

Wish me luck!!

• Like 5

On 3/26/2019 at 10:41 AM, StevenGEmsley said:

So my project is to compile a single document, organised so all the relevant information is in the right chapters, all cross-referenced and properly indexed, all looking nice and pretty, with all the options in there (a chapter on the Mythos, a chapter on Clockwork, a chapter on folklore, a chapter on witches and so on).  And then get a copy printed up into a single, probably stupidly expensive, hardcover for personal use.

I've done that for PraxPack and PavisPack in Glorantha, collated all the articles on Pavis and Prax into two massive PDFs, probably over 1000 pages each. I haven't printed them out, though. However, as most pages are images, it isn't searchable, which is a right royal pain.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

7 minutes ago, StevenGEmsley said:

Everything on Prax and Pavis?? My god, man, that must have taken a while!!!  😁

Everything I could find.

It helped that I have a large number of scanned PDFs, some time on my hands and used PDFTK.

Basically, I went through the PDFs, noted the page numbers of sections relating to Pavis/Prax in a text file, then write a batch job to extract the pages into a series of PDFs and another to combine them. I was going to put in a Table of Contents, but it would have been too haphazard.

I don't have Adobe Acrobat, but PDFTK is really good at that kind of thing and I'd advise doing it that way. You could always tart it up a bit in Adobe Acrobat afterwards.

One thing I do regret it not having good enough OCR software to convert to text. Had I had that, it would be awesome.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...