Boosting Rune Magic

PhilHibbs

Bestiary p81:

Each additional point used
in this spell adds +25% to the chance of it working. Thus,
if the caster had a POW of 18, the target would resist as if
the caster had a POW of 23, if the caster used 2 points of
Blinding instead of 1.

That's a special case in the Blinding spell, and it always struck me as odd that this one spell should have that feature, but should it be a general rule, that extra Rune Points spent when casting a spell boost the chance of overcoming the target's POW?

Also, there's a subtle difference between "+25%" and "as if the caster had a POW of 23". The first wording would give a 30% chance of overcoming a POW of 100, whereas the second would not. I'd go with the second, allowing 4RP to overcome absolutely any level of POW is too generous. The Crimson Bat would be dead in seconds flat every time it showed up.

• Like 1

It is poorly stated, as always.

If I have POW 18 and cast Blinding 3 at a POW 6 opponent, I already have a 95% chance of succeeding. Does my chance increase by +50, giving me a 145% chance of succeeding or does my effective POW increase to 28, giving me a 95% chance of succeeding?

Another poor description of a spell.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

26 minutes ago, soltakss said:

If I have POW 18 and cast Blinding 3 at a POW 6 opponent, I already have a 95% chance of succeeding. Does my chance increase by +50, giving me a 145% chance of succeeding or does my effective POW increase to 28, giving me a 95% chance of succeeding?

18 vs 6 is 110%, and 28 vs 6 is 160%, so either way it's the same. 160%.image.png.22caf0f5e2d7dfb7c530f0975837af9e.png

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, soltakss said:

If you already are at a 95% chance of succeeding, that's the best you can get while having to roll at all. There don't appear to be rules for magic that you can cast without making a roll.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

18 vs 6 is 110%, and 28 vs 6 is 160%, so either way it's the same. 160%.

Ooh, thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed that the Resistance Table stopped capping out at 95, but has chances above 95. That is a big, big improvement.

In which case, the spell is not poorly written and works just fine. Either +5 POW or +25 chance, both work just as well on the modified Resistance Table.

I wonder what other vast improvements they have slipped in without me noticing. 

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

Ooh, thank you for pointing that out. I hadn't noticed that the Resistance Table stopped capping out at 95, but has chances above 95. That is a big, big improvement.

I'm not so sure about it, the resistance table never had specials or criticals because it should be symmetric and not dependent on who is "active". If you're using it for an arm wrestling contest, both sides should have equal chance of critical success, and whoever ends up on the "passive" side is at a disadvantage.

3 hours ago, soltakss said:

In which case, the spell is not poorly written and works just fine. Either +5 POW or +25 chance, both work just as well on the modified Resistance Table.

I wonder what other vast improvements they have slipped in without me noticing. 

No kidding, mind if I make a new thread..?

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Another quirk is, if you have an augment on your POW vs POW roll for casting a spell, does that raise your chance from 05% to 25% even if you are seriously out-matched (as happened today with a Humakti POW 13 vs Idrima)? I ruled that it did, but she failed anyway, but on second thoughts that would mean that the Crimson Bat would probably be taken down by four people casting Sever Spirit at it.

1 hour ago, PhilHibbs said:

I'm not so sure about it, the resistance table never had specials or criticals because it should be symmetric and not dependent on who is "active". If you're using it for an arm wrestling contest, both sides should have equal chance of critical success, and whoever ends up on the "passive" side is at a disadvantage.

It did for Fearshock and Madness attacks for Lunes. In RQ2, there was a 5% chance of having something really bad happen, but in RQ3 it happened if you rolled a Critical on the Resistance Table. So, a POW 21 Shade against a POW 1 PC has a 150% chance of success, so Criticals on 07 and kills him stone dead.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, soltakss said:

It did for Fearshock and Madness attacks for Lunes. In RQ2, there was a 5% chance of having something really bad happen, but in RQ3 it happened if you rolled a Critical on the Resistance Table. So, a POW 21 Shade against a POW 1 PC has a 150% chance of success, so Criticals on 07 and kills him stone dead.

Fair point, Sever Spirit has the same mechanic. So where there clearly is an active side, it makes sense. Where it's a symmetric roll, I guess you just ignore crits and specials.