Using a Weapon without a Corresponding Skill

11 hours ago, Mugen said:

Well, Pendragon has the shield mechanism, for instance, and asks for less maths in most circumstances.

Of course, it is possible to implement the "shield mechanism" quite simply, with a "shield threshold" : if your (d20+skill) roll is inferior to your opponent's, but above Shield Threshold, substract 6 from damage.

Yup, or just by using the difference in the rolls. Like if the opponent beasts you by 10+ or 15+ he gets past your shield. In some ways that could be better that the KAP RAW as it will not make shields automatic for highly skilled knights. 

And if the same mechanic were applied for critical success (i.e. the difference), it would allow the game to handle very high scores better.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

7 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

And if the same mechanic were applied for critical success (i.e. the difference), it would allow the game to handle very high scores better.

Yes, and if you make it open-ended on a 20 (akin to a d20-ified RoleMaster) and count a crit if roll > threshold+20, you'd have critical success chance similar to RQ for skills below 20.

HeroQuest does it quite well, I think, even though I think the "bump" mechanism could be elegantly replaced by a "success counting" mechanism : count 1 base success per mastery, then add 1 or 2 successes depending on the d20 roll.