TALONS OF WINTER

Trifletraxor

talons-of-winter.jpgThroughout the Young Kingdoms travellers’ tales tell of the fabulous valley of Xanardwys. Here a legendary city is reputed to be sited in an enchanted land whose waters possess blessed warmth which resist the cruel winters of the surrounding tundra. Reputedly, roses bloom against the surrounding snow and fortunes can be made by trading with its peaceful citizens for precious metals, ivory and health restoring potions. Wisdom too can be sought if the city’s famous seers can be successfully implored.

Talons of Winter adds further locations to the remote northlands of the Young Kingdoms Northern Continent which are described in Secrets of the Steppes. The city of Xanardwys, its customs, key locations and notable citizens are described and several scenario seeds are included. The mysterious and fearsome northern giants of the Fire Mountains are detailed, as is the dreaded Snow Hag, a fearsome troll-like sorcerer of the frozen Whitelands.

The book also presents Vengeance Served Cold, a flexible campaign in which the numerous plot hooks and scenarios provided for the different regions of the Northern Continent’s steppe can be woven together. As a band of intrepid adventurers’ journey through the unmapped realms they encounter an ancient enmity against the city. The ruthless ambitions of Gods and the rivalries of their favoured agents clash and threaten to plunge the whole of the Dakwinsi Steppe into a savage war of annihilation.

By John White. Available for pre-order.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Is this going to be one of the last Elric! Books through Mongoose? I heard they lost the licence.

The Elric! line has been defunct for a long time, if memory serves it stopped around 2001. Mongoose produced the MRQ based Elric of Melnibone game, the last version of which covered many eras of the Young kingdoms. If the Lords of Chaos are on our side we may yet see Talons of Winter published as a Legend supplement, or not.

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

On the Mongoose forum Matt Sprange wrote "...I regret to say there will be no further Elric books forthcoming in the foreseeable future."  So we'll most likely not see it in that form in the future. However, havercake lad, one of the writers working on the book, notes that

"I am sure a good deal of the material I wrote for Talons of Winter will get used in some RPG system. I'm sorry for anyone who kept campaigns on hold waiting for the book, I had sent the draft in over a year ago and it was recieved very positively by its playtesters. I'd urge budding RPFG writers not to be discouraged by projects like this, I gather situations like this happen to far better writers.
Ideally the book is best left as uinchanged (sic) as possible and placed in a Young Kingdoms campaign setting, but if no one goes for the license then I will try to get parts of it published in another RPG setting such as RQ6's The Realm (RQ6) or in Uma (Orbis Terrarum)."

So we may yet see some of the setting published in some other non YK supplement. :)

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

On the Mongoose forum Matt Sprange wrote "...I regret to say there will be no further Elric books forthcoming in the foreseeable future."  So we'll most likely not see it in that form in the future. However, havercake lad, one of the writers working on the book, notes that

"I am sure a good deal of the material I wrote for Talons of Winter will get used in some RPG system. I'm sorry for anyone who kept campaigns on hold waiting for the book, I had sent the draft in over a year ago and it was recieved very positively by its playtesters. I'd urge budding RPFG writers not to be discouraged by projects like this, I gather situations like this happen to far better writers.

Ideally the book is best left as uinchanged (sic) as possible and placed in a Young Kingdoms campaign setting, but if no one goes for the license then I will try to get parts of it published in another RPG setting such as RQ6's The Realm (RQ6) or in Uma (Orbis Terrarum)."

So we may yet see some of the setting published in some other supplement. :)

It sounds like it would work well under the Xoth setting.  Here's to hoping this product eventually sees the light of day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...