Call of Cthulhu Cult of Chaos Scenario List

I've downloaded a number of the free scenario PDFs from this forum that are intended for convention use. However, the content seems to be scattered among the sub-forums and there is no master key listing of the available free content.

Can anyone compile a list of all available free scenarios for Cult of Chaos Call of Cthulhu Keepers and then keep it updated as new scenarios become available? A moderator could pin the thread to the top of this forum as a reference.

• Like 1

@ColoradoCthulhu, it's a great idea--another bonus of which would be that it could allow the unpinning of so many pinned scenario threads. The Chaos Library subforum currently starts off with a full 21 pinned threads, which greatly complicates navigation and ease of checking for updates. If a single pinned thread at the top linked to the 19 pinned scenario threads in that subforum, you could unpin those individual ones and make navigating the subforum that much cleaner.

Of course, doing so would require someone who was fine creating and maintaining that list, and that would likely take some work.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

@ColoradoCthulhu, it's a great idea--another bonus of which would be that it could allow the unpinning of so many pinned scenario threads. The Chaos Library subforum currently starts off with a full 21 pinned threads, which greatly complicates navigation and ease of checking for updates. If a single pinned thread at the top linked to the 19 pinned scenario threads in that subforum, you could unpin those individual ones and make navigating the subforum that much cleaner.

Of course, doing so would require someone who was fine creating and maintaining that list, and that would likely take some work.

Although it's also worth noting that while some of those are just line-items, some are substantive threads in their own right.  If there's substantial advice & commentary on a scenario, I think there's a LOT of benefit it keeping that info collected with that scenario.

Not disagreeing with you -- that a top-page full of pinned items is a problem -- but I'd hate to lose something else worthwhile, in the process of solving that one...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, g33k said:

Although it's also worth noting that while some of those are just line-items, some are substantive threads in their own right.  If there's substantial advice & commentary on a scenario, I think there's a LOT of benefit it keeping that info collected with that scenario.

Not disagreeing with you -- that a top-page full of pinned items is a problem -- but I'd hate to lose something else worthwhile, in the process of solving that one...

@g33k, it's a good point. Ideally, the master list would link to the scenario threads rather than straight to the scenarios. My understanding is each scenario thread links to the scenario itself in the opening post, so the master list would be equally useful for locating the scenario threads and for locating the scenarios.

2 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

@g33k, it's a good point. Ideally, the master list would link to the scenario threads rather than straight to the scenarios. My understanding is each scenario thread links to the scenario itself in the opening post, so the master list would be equally useful for locating the scenario threads and for locating the scenarios.

This was my thought as well.

8 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

So a 3-step process:

1.  Create a new Pinned thread (probably Locked mod-only, so random naive commenters don't add distracting extranea).

2.  Mods post to the thread, each post is a pointer to an existing Thread.

3.  Un-pin the existing per-scenario threads, so new & active stuff filters to the top, but the older/inactive archival stuff drifts down.

Does that seem correct?

Any "unanticipated consequences" that anyone sees?

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, ColoradoCthulhu said:

What say the mods? Are the moderators willing to take on this mini-project? If all of the scenarios were linked in a single pinned post, they would be easier to find and get more action. :)

Eh.

No rush, IMHO.  Better to let more brains mull the issue, for more days.

See if a better solution occurs.  See if someone finds a problem, or something overlooked, so it can be done once, right.

Also, it occurs to me that -- if the Mods approve -- a bunch of the gruntwork can be done by an ordinary fan, and then the mods can just come change the Pin's...

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 hour ago, g33k said:

Eh.

No rush, IMHO.  Better to let more brains mull the issue, for more days.

See if a better solution occurs.  See if someone finds a problem, or something overlooked, so it can be done once, right.

Also, it occurs to me that -- if the Mods approve -- a bunch of the gruntwork can be done by an ordinary fan, and then the mods can just come change the Pin's...

Good idea. A community member could lay the groundwork and then a mod could just approve it after reviewing the master list. This way it will get done faster. :)

Edited by ColoradoCthulhu

@g33k, your three-step process perfectly outlines what I'd envisioned.

I don't see much for unintended consequences--but I agree, give others a chance to weigh in on whether there's something we're missing. (I'm quite new to the Cult of Chaos myself.) As long as the master list post remains editable to its author (or to other mods? Is that an ability moderators have?), it should be a comparable amount of work to maintain as pinning a new scenario thread when it goes up. Worst-case scenario, if for some reason the original post can't be edited, a new mod could copy the full post and paste it into a new pinned thread, then delete the old pinned thread. (I just tested, and links seem to copy/paste fine from a forum post to a new entry box.) Since we're envisioning a thread locked for comments, nothing would be lost if it came to that.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

... I don't see much for unintended consequences ...

That's why they're unintended, hm?  Because plans are implemented by folks who don't see the downstream problem.

I mean... I don't see any problem either (I wouldn't have proposed those 3 steps if I saw problems; seeing a problem in the original proposal was what got me to speak up in the first place).

That doesn't mean there are no problems, however...

And like I said above, there's no real rush to make these changes.  It has limped along in the current state for quite a while, and can undoubtedly do so a while longer.

C'es ne pas un .sig

Can "tags" be applied retroactively (by mods) to a thread?  And can forum-search function search on tags???  @Trifletraxor?

So (for example) era-tags "Classic" & "Gaslight" & "Modern" &c...?

Also useful (for the specific uses by Cult of Chaos GM's) might be "Duration" tags like "1-2 hours" & "4 hours" & "Multi-session," etc.

If tags aren't Search'able, maybe edit thread titles, or even edit the posts themselves; so Keepers can more-easily find scenariae to fit their needs.

I know that, for example, I have been at a convention and had my "plan A" fall through, where if I had had a quick scenario available I'd have been able to run that instead.  But I hadn't prepared such a backup scenario.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 5:40 PM, g33k said:
On 9/2/2019 at 9:00 AM, Joe Kenobi said:

What is the chance of opening a download section similar to the existing one in the regular forums, but just here, @Trifletraxor under the cloak of invisibility and password protected?

ETA that would allow comments, and be easy to find and itemize

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!