Elemental (take 2)

Lloyd Dupont

I think we were talking about them when I wrote the Shade Land but I am afraid we did not include it in the supplement. 

However, it is not particularly difficult to stat them. Treat number of cubic metres as Size Class. Sylphs and Salamanders may have the equivalent of hte Skeletal Trait - lower Toughness but immune to Slash and Impale. Undines would be just immune to impale, perhaps slash. Gnomes should have base Toughness of SIze Class x3 and immunity to Impale, or perhaps 1 AP per Size Class instead of enhanced Toughness.

STR 3d6 (Salamanders 2d6, Sylphs and gnomes 4d6)

CON n/a

DEX 3d6 (gnomes 2d6, sylphs 4d6)

INT n/a (usually)

WIL 1d6 per Size Class

CHA n/a

It remains to be seen if the creature attacks only by engulfing or it can perform normal attacks. 

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Merrie England:Age of Crusade has a Power Class,  which works similarly to the Size Class. You could match the Elemental's size in cubic metres to a power Class, so more powerful Elementals have a higher Power Class. that way, you don't need Shades with 10D6 WIL knocking about.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

These are the Power Class rules from Merrie England:Age of Crusade. They might change before publication, though.

Power Class

When dealing with magical creatures, we can use the Power Class, which works in much the same manner as a Size Class.

Each creature has a Power Class, depending on its race. Power Class is expressed as a number, but for ease of understanding we will frequently describe it with the Power codes used for clothing (S, M, L, XL, XXL…) All humans and most humanoid monsters are of Medium Power, that is they have Power Class 3.

Power Class Modifiers

Class

Power Class 

Power Bonus

Angelic Rank

Demonic Rank

Tiny (T)

Compact/Extra Small (C/XS)

Small (S)

Medium (M)

Imp

Large (L)

Angel

Lesser Demon

Extra-Large (XL)

Archangel

Greater Demon

XX-Large (XXL)

Principality

Knight

XXX-Large (XXXL)

Power

Earl

Huge (H)

Virtue

Marquis

Extra Huge (XH)

Domination

President

XX-Huge (XXH)

Throne

Duke

XXX-Huge (XXXH)

Cherubim

Prince

Enormous (E)

Seraphim

King

The more magically powerful a creature is, the higher its Power Rank. In the same way that creatures with a high Size Rank do not normally have an ever-increasing base STR, magical creatures with a high Power Rank do not have a very large WIL. This means that WIl is normally kept as 4d6 for all magical creatures, but when used the WIL gets a bonus of twice the Power Bonus. So, a Demonic Prince might have a 4d6 WIL and roll 15, but gets a bonus of +16, increasing effective WIL to 31. This makes higher ranking creatures very powerful indeed.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

Looking at Power Classes, if you do use them for Elementals, I wouldn't use RQ3's 1D6 per Size Class/Power Class. Instead, I'd use RQ2's idea of Small/Medium/Large/Huge Elementals and allocate them as Small = M, Medium = L, Large = XL, Huge = XXL and so on.

• Like 1

Just for the sake of precision: introducing a Power Class that mimicks Size Class for disembodied creatures is something I had considered for the core rules. The reasons I have discarded it are two:

• Spirits are less central in the context of Revolution D100, which does not include animism in the set of supported core magic systems (whereas RQG and Mythras, for instance, do).
  • It would probably have been a duplicate of Spirit Intensity found in Mythras. A mere paraphrase of another rule system is acceptable, but pointless. If you wish to use Power Classes, you know where to look.

However, the description of angelic and demonic hierarchies in ME: Age of Chivalry (formerly Heaven and Hell , as this was the first title of this section of the rules before Simon and I were hit with the Curse of Republishing for Yet Another D100 system), and the shaman-heavy Wind on the Steppes might certainly benefit from such an extension to the rules. Feel free to adapt it to elementals at will. However, this feature will be limited to specific settings. I am still confident you can do Urban Fantasy and Superheroes without it.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM