a complaint

islan

Going with the lowest roll wins straight up has a very big effect on the odds though. The two methods being discussed (blackjack and the made roll by the most method) have exact same odds for a given set of skill ratings being compared. Low roll wins greatly increases the odds of the lower skill winning and really minimizes the advantage of having a higher skill.

Could you give an example? I think what is lost in one success range is probably made up in another.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:)

Although I know better, I want to believe the "trained dice" philosophy. After years of playing games like RQ and James Bond, I got used to wanting to roll low, and my dice seemed to try and meet my expectations.

So use the dice that have always hated you for roll high games.

Come on, everyone who believes in lucky dice has a a set of dice that just plain hate them. Admit it.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

So use the dice that have always hated you for roll high games.

Tried that. It doesn't work, The little buggers are simply too clever, and just roll in the middle.

Come on, everyone who believes in lucky dice has a a set of dice that just plain hate them. Admit it.

Luck involves an element of chance. Hate does not. So dice that hate you are more constant and reliable (in a bad way) than dice that are just lucky.

Could you give an example? I think what is lost in one success range is probably made up in another.

Assume 10% crit and 20% special.

Assume A has skill 80 and B has skill 40.

A crits on 8 or less, specials on 16 or less, succeeds on 80 or less.

B crits on 4 or less, specials on 8 or less, succeeds on 40 or less.

If A and B get equal normal successes, B has the advantage in that

A must have rolled in the range of 17 - 40 to have any chance of

beating B who has rolled in the range of 9 - 40. A only has a normal

success range of 24 points, but B has a normal range of 32 points.

Also, any normal success rolled by A in the 41 - 80 range would lose

if B rolls a normal success. That's 40 points of a normal success range

that is lost.

-V

Assume 10% crit and 20% special.

Assume A has skill 80 and B has skill 40.

A crits on 8 or less, specials on 16 or less, succeeds on 80 or less.

B crits on 4 or less, specials on 8 or less, succeeds on 40 or less.

If A and B get equal normal successes, B has the advantage in that

A must have rolled in the range of 17 - 40 to have any chance of

beating B who has rolled in the range of 9 - 40. A only has a normal

success range of 24 points, but B has a normal range of 32 points.

Also, any normal success rolled by A in the 41 - 80 range would lose

if B rolls a normal success. That's 40 points of a normal success range

that is lost.

-V

But mathematically, I think it is the same as roll high.

The 40% that "A" appears to loose is made up for when B rolls over 40. It just shifts the percentages from Success vs Success to the Success vs Fail range.

I think if we did the win/loss numbers for all the ranges and added them together it would come out the same.

Vagabond is right. What is up for play is the range of possible rolls when the lower skilled character makes his roll, and the higher skilled character rolls a success but greater than the lower skilled characters skill.

So in Vagabonds example say player B (skill 40%) rolls a normal success.

If Player A rolls between 41 and 80 with high roll wins he wins.

If player A rolls between 41 and 80 with low roll wins he loses.

That is a pretty big swing of the odds in favor of the 40% skill (granted he has to make his skill roll, which the odds are against in the first place, but if he does it becomes much harder for the 80% skill to win).

Edited by Rurik

But mathematically, I think it is the same as roll high.

The 40% that "A" appears to loose is made up for when B rolls over 40. It just shifts the percentages from Success vs Success to the Success vs Fail range.

I think if we did the win/loss numbers for all the ranges and added them together it would come out the same.

If B rolls over 40, he loses anyway. So there is no point in examining that -

highest roll wins, lowest roll wins, etc., the result is the same.

But, when B rolls a success, A loses half of his skill range in lowest wins.

Look at it this way. B loses any contest 60% of the time (41 - 00). 32% of the time, B gets a normal success (9 - 40).

A loses any contest 20% of the time (81 - 00). 64% of the time, A gets a normal success (17 - 80).

In the event of a tie, A automatically loses 40% of the time (41 - 80). So, effectively, his success range has

dropped to 24% (17 - 40) while B maintains his 32% success rate. Yes, A has greater ranges for crits and specials, but

in normal successes, he is at a disadvantage if B succeeds.

-V

Edited by vagabond

Vagabond is right. What is up for play is the range of possible rolls when the lower skilled character makes his roll, and the higher skilled character rolls a success but greater than the lower skilled characters skill.

So in Vagabonds example say player B (skill 40%) rolls a normal success.

If Player A rolls between 41 and 80 with high roll wins he wins.

If player A rolls between 41 and 80 with low roll wins he loses.

That is a pretty big swing of the odds in favor of the 40% skill (granted he has to make his skill roll, which the odds are against in the first place, but if he does it becomes much harder for the 80% skill to win).

Yeah, but that is like saying roll low is bad because if I roll an 01 you can't beat me.

This is essentially the same thing that happens with critical and special successes in the game. .

The situation Vagabond uses an 80% vs 40%, with the 40% character rolling a 40 and the 80% character rolling 41-80 is offset by the times where the 40% character rolls over 40.

Mathematically there are the same range of results it is just that what the 40% gains in the success range is lost in the other ranges. he total number of results (100^2=10,000) is the same, and each character wins the same number of contests with high or low.

Flip it around for a second. If the guy with 80% skill makes his roll, the guy with the 40% skill still has a less than 40% chance of winning.

Where it will balance out is the times where the guy with 40% rolls in the 40-80 range but looses because he failed the skill roll.

If B rolls over 40, he loses anyway. So there is no point in examining that -

But there is a point. This is an opposed roll. SO those results will matter in the win loss ratio. Since somebody is going to win the contest, then all the times B flubs the roll still count. It's not like an unopposed roll where a failure means nothing happens.

In normal BRP/RQ type rolling, if both characters failed, nothing happened. For example, a failed parry vs. a failed attack. But with an opposed roll, it doesn't work that way. If B rolls an 81 and A rolls an 82, B wins. That is a fundemental difference between opposed rolls and unopposed rolls.

Consider the roll high system. If B rolls a 40, A "looses" half his success range there too. Anything below an 40 would be a failure. Okay, specials and crticals still give A a chance, but it is really the same thing as the other way.

In fact the high roll wins, hurts A just as much as the low roll wins, since when both roll in the 41-80 range, A just wins, rather than getting his result bumped up to a special as in roll low.

Edited by Atgxtg

Consider the roll high system. If B rolls a 40, A "looses" half his success range there too. Anything below an 40 would be a failure. Okay, specials and crticals still give A a chance, but it is really the same thing as the other way.

We're talking "highest roll in the event of a tie", not "highest roll".

So, in the "highest roll in the event of a tie", if B rolls a 40, A can roll a 41 - 80

and still win. If B rolls a 30, A can roll a 31 - 80 and win. So, the higher skill

has the advantage. In other words, with this system, only examining normal

successes, B can only win on a 9 - 40 or 32% of the time, while A can win

on a 17 - 80 or 64% of the time. A has twice the range B has in normal success.

In the "lowest roll in the event of a tie", A loses 40% of his range, and has a

smaller normal success range than B.

If B flubs, A wins all of the time unless he flubs. Regardless of high/low. So we

need to ignore B failing - it is the same no matter what. If B fails, in either

high/low in the event of a tie, A wins 80% of the time.

Again, the problem occurs only in the normal range of success. However, in

most cases, that is the largest and most common case where both will tie.

-V

We're talking "highest roll in the event of a tie", not "highest roll".

So, in the "highest roll in the event of a tie", if B rolls a 40, A can roll a 41 - 80

and still win. If B rolls a 30, A can roll a 31 - 80 and win. So, the higher skill

has the advantage. In other words, with this system, only examining normal

successes, B can only win on a 9 - 40 or 32% of the time, while A can win

on a 17 - 80 or 64% of the time. A has twice the range B has in normal success.

In the "lowest roll in the event of a tie", A loses 40% of his range, and has a

smaller normal success range than B.

No. Not really. A is still going to win on those rolls above 40 where B doesn't roll below 41.

What you seem to be doing is considering B rolls above 40 to be autowins for A, when in fact there are still contested.

So A losing the 41-80 range for success is got back when B rolls over 40. Now you can say "B wouldn't have won those anyway", but that is incorrect. B only would loose the one where A beat his roll (by rolling a success or rolling a better failure).

If B flubs, A wins all of the time unless he flubs. Regardless of high/low. So we

need to ignore B failing - it is the same no matter what. If B fails, in either

high/low in the event of a tie, A wins 80% of the time.

I am assembling a 100x100 matrix, just looking at the results of B winning,

assuming in one instance, lowest roll in the event both get the same

degree of success wins, and highest roll in the event both get the same

degree of success wins. In both cases, if the rolls are the same, and

within the same degree of success, I award the higher skilled side to win.

In the lowest roll wins in the event of a tie in degree of success, B wins

1898 out of 10,000 possible outcomes or 18.98% of the time.

In the highest roll wins in the event of a tie in degree of success, B wins

1625 out of 10,000 possible outcomes or 16.25% of the time.

So, lowest roll in the event of a tie in degree of success significantly favors

the lower skill.

-V

Edited by vagabond
forgot some vicotyr conditions

What you seem to be doing is considering B rolls above 40 to be autowins for A, when in fact there are still contested.

If B fails, A only fails if he rolls above 80. A fail/fail is still a fail. Again, fail/fail

is irrelevant.

What you guys are doing is ignoring too much of the range. For instance, if B has a 5% skill, and managed to roll it, you7d say A was getting shaftted by 75% of his success range. He isn't. B just rolled really well, and even so A can win with a special.

If B rolls a 5% on a skill of 5, A must roll a 16 or less to win. Anything else is

a failure in the lowest roll wins in the event of a tie in degree of success.

In the highest roll wins in the event of a tie in degree of success, A will win

with any roll 80 or less, or, any success.

-V

four words:

Shut up and play!

This thread is utter madness. MADNESS I SAY!

I hope islan appreciate the meta-mechanical tizzy this board is thrown into whenever this topic comes up.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp

four words:

Shut up and play!

I hope islan appreciate the meta-mechanical tizzy this board is thrown into whenever this topic comes up.

It's certainly crazy. :confused:

This madness is caused by Opposed Rolls - and you don't need them!

It's precisely because they confuse people like this that I recommend they be dropped.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

As and when the BRP core book is revised the opposed skills section certainly needs clarifying: but dropping the opposed skill rules would be a hugely retrograde step IMO.

If people don't like the rule they can chose not to use it. Other people dislike hit locations, finding them unrealistic and awkward - should we drop those entirely as well?

Nick

four words:

Shut up and play!

It's okay - I am still stuck on dice high/low philosophy (since I seem cursed to roll at extremes), let alone understanding the mathematical solutions espoused by a few of our esteemed members. Blinking heck! :eek:

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

As and when the BRP core book is revised the opposed skills section certainly needs clarifying: but dropping the opposed skill rules would be a hugely retrograde step IMO.

If people don't like the rule they can chose not to use it. Other people dislike hit locations, finding them unrealistic and awkward - should we drop those entirely as well?

Hit locations are an option. People are free to use them or not as they see fit. (As it happens, for the most part I find them an unnecessary complication and only use them for significant wounds).

Opposed Rolling is the only mechanism given for combat in the new BRP core book. That's BAD. Officially, people can't choose not to use it. (Oddly unlike most other rules - why??)

I agree with you that the Opposed Roll rules are unclear. However, I think that's an intrinsic problem with the mechanism's complexity, not a fault of the writer or the reader's capacity to understand. IMO, dropping the simpler Independent Roll mechanic and showing potential new players no alternative but the complex, controversial and mathematically uncertain Opposed Rolls has been BRP's "hugely retrograde step".

The question now is, what's the best way to undo that damage?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

Made a correction above since I forgot the victory conditions when A

fails outright but B gets a normal success.

It still doesn't change the difference of 273 more victories if one uses the

"lower roll wins in the event of a tie in degree of success".

Anyway, yes - just go play :)

-V

four words:

Shut up and play!

I count 29 words. 31 if you count the words 'four words'. Clearly your bias against the current hijack of this thread is that you are math challenged. :D

Seriously though, it is only a semi-hijack, and somewhat relevant. This same discussion raged over at the MRQ Boards, people even wrote opposed roll odds calculators. I had no desire to pull out old formulas - especially as the math is so much simpler with MRQ (fixed fumble at 00 and one 10% crit, rather than variable fumbles and 5% crits plus 20% specials).

Either way, Vagabond is right here. The odds are different, and low roll wins is weighted more towards the lower skill, while high roll wins is weighted more towards the higher skill.

Clearly your bias against the current hijack of this thread is that you are math challenged. :D

Oh yeah? I can subnet in my head.

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp