Call of Cthulhu LIVE: worth it?

Dethstrok9

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to hear you find it to be such a strong system--thanks for sharing this review!

I've never done a LARP myself; the amount of necessary preparatory work (as you detail) is likely prohibitive for me. But I'll keep this one in the back of my mind in case a situation arises.

If I may be so bold, I do have a couple of recommendations for you based on your review. You mention that you've taken a liking to rules light, story-based systems. Neither of these is as immersive as Cthulhu Live would be, but they're both quite atmospheric while checking your other boxes:

1) Lovecraftesque - It's GMless, diceless, and requires essentially zero preparation to play.

2) Dread - This one requires a GM, but it's diceless and instead makes use of a Jenga tower. You'd be surprised how effective that is in creating a horror atmosphere driven by, well, dread.

Both of these games are only designed for one-shots, so my Call of Cthulhu group makes use of them to get a session in if I need a little longer to prep a scenario or multi-scenario arc for our regular game. Lovecraftesque works great because of how little prep it requires. Dread still needs some scenario prep, but one of my players usually steps up to GM. Especially if you're getting into something like Cthulhu Live that has so much session prep, these could be good ways to get your group together during the between-session downtime.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Joe Kenobi said:

Glad to hear you find it to be such a strong system--thanks for sharing this review!

I've never done a LARP myself; the amount of necessary preparatory work (as you detail) is likely prohibitive for me. But I'll keep this one in the back of my mind in case a situation arises.

If I may be so bold, I do have a couple of recommendations for you based on your review. You mention that you've taken a liking to rules light, story-based systems. Neither of these is as immersive as Cthulhu Live would be, but they're both quite atmospheric while checking your other boxes:

1) Lovecraftesque - It's GMless, diceless, and requires essentially zero preparation to play.

2) Dread - This one requires a GM, but it's diceless and instead makes use of a Jenga tower. You'd be surprised how effective that is in creating a horror atmosphere driven by, well, dread.

Both of these games are only designed for one-shots, so my Call of Cthulhu group makes use of them to get a session in if I need a little longer to prep a scenario or multi-scenario arc for our regular game. Lovecraftesque works great because of how little prep it requires. Dread still needs some scenario prep, but one of my players usually steps up to GM. Especially if you're getting into something like Cthulhu Live that has so much session prep, these could be good ways to get your group together during the between-session downtime.

Thank you very much for the recommendations, I've played Dread before and plan on reviewing that as well eventually, but I've never heard of Lovecraftesque, I will check it out! Glad you liked my review, you can't beat 10 bucks for a 220 pg PDF which not only gives you the system, but also basically teaches you how to make B horror flick special effects!

If you liked that video, please join the Legion, if you haven't already, as I have a lot of upcoming content planned:) 

-Voice of the Legion

I'm continuing to create videos on Cthulhu LIVE, but I feel like I'm being annoying posting them all here. Go check out my blog in this sight, or subscribe to my channel you like my videos. I'm really enjoying making this video series on Cthulhu LIVE!

-Voice of the Legion

• 3 weeks later...