Apotheosis with Balance

tooley1chris

So by the book Apotheosis with Balance changes the characters Hit Points equal to SIZ+CON+POW. Determining HP normally is SIZ+CON/2. (Edited)

Is this SUPPOSED to be SIZ+CON+POW/3 or straight up? I couldn't find anything in errata so...Whatcha think?

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

2 minutes ago, tooley1chris said:

So by the book Apotheosis with Balance changes the characters Hit Points equal to SIZ+CON+POW. Determining HP normally is SIZ+POW/2.

Is this SUPPOSED to be SIZ+CON+POW/3 or straight up? I couldn't find anything in errata so...Whatcha think?

Err, wut? Magic World Page 14 "Hit Points (CON + SIZ)/2" Page 32 "the Adventurer’s maximum Hit Points forever after equal SIZ + CON + POW."

So, yes,  HP would jump from average of 13 (assuming SIZ and CON of 13) to a whopping 39 (assuming also POW of 13 - which seems a tad unlikley). Where did you get HP=SIZ+POW/2 from?

Interestingly in Elric! and SB5 the increase for Apotheosis is from (CON + SIZ)/2 to simply CON + SIZ, and in the BGB it is the same (or double previous HP total, depending on how the base is calculated), so I assume the SIZ + CON + POW was a decision of Ben's to give the Champion of Balance a chunkier benefit for Apotheosis.

All that said - this is a Champion of Balance - likely facing down Champions of Shadow (whose Magic Points have permanently DOUBLED) and Champions of Light (who get... a small village to rule?!?) erm, and other mighty opponents... ;)

More seriously, I like the adding the raise in HP to such spectacular levels compared to average PCs - i t makes a Champion of Balance really quire hard to kill.

Cheers,

Nick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

Where did you get HP=SIZ+POW/2 from?

Ugh that was a silly error on my part. Too many acronyms running in my mind. Fixed 👍

And thanks for the references. I dont have Elric so that helps frame it for me.

Edited by tooley1chris

Author QUASAR space opera system: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/459723/QUASAR?affiliate_id=810507

My Magic World projects page: Tooleys Underwhelming Projects

• 3 weeks later...

In Elric! the benefits of being a Champion of the Balance were deliberately nerfed because the Balance was so weak in the Young Kingdoms. However I liked it that you could achieve Balance apotheosis only by hard and consistent roleplaying, with the temptations of Law (good skills) and Chaos (easy access to magic) always there. I also loved it that the Champion of the Balance could win the game.

A Champion of the Balance becomes worthy to seek Tanelorn, the city of peace...Having succeeded, the champion has won the game, and leaves or enters play when he wishes, escaping the general doom of the Young Kingdoms

-- Elric! p.36

In my long Elric! campaign in Nehwon I had one sorcerer become a Champion of Chaos and one Vadagh-like elf become a Champion of Law, but no one ever got near being a Champion of the Balance, though some tried.

• Like 1

Guest Vile Traveller
7 hours ago, Questbird said:

I also loved it that the Champion of the Balance could win the game.

For that reason I've never really liked the term "Balance" in Stormbringer or in MW, because it sounds too much like a compromise or an attempt to mediate between the two opposing forces of Law and Chaos or Light and Shadow. IMO it should be its own thing, a third way, a power in balance with the other two but not the Balance alone (in fact, if the other two are in perfect balance, what happens to Balance?). Balance should be cool.

Mind you, it's tricky coming up with a cool name. Symmetry? Clarity? Accord? Serenity? Insight? Zen?

• 2 years later...
On 4/23/2020 at 9:49 PM, Lloyd Dupont said:

Mm... I think I only understand today what this thread was about.. :)

I guess this was supposed to be a game mechanic description of Moorcock's imaginary world...
Now it might not fit your imaginary vision as a GM! 😮

Correct. Moorcock's work was very much about the conflict between those forces shaping the multiverse. But it is useful for any system which has Good and Evil or Light and Dark (eg. Tolkien, The Dark is Rising), especially since there is a more life-centred Balance option too.

I still use the system in a more gritty Swords and Sorcery setting, just because I quite like it rather than because it's especially fitting.