Carse/Karse, Sanctuary/Refuge: generic Chaosium supplements in Glorantha

smiorgan

I have read somewhere that the Chaosium/ Midkemia press generic city guide "Carse" was "playtested" as Karse in the Holy Land in Chaosium's house campaign. I also strongly suspect that the city of Refuge in front of God Forgot is nothing but Sanctuary as portrayed in Chaosium's Thieves World boxed set. At least, in the French magazine Tatou I saw a version of Refuge that was heavily modeled on Sanctuary. But I do not know if this was a Chaosium thing or just the French...

So, I call upon the lore of the Rune Quest historians and Gloranthan sages... tell me more about the Gloranthan reflections of those cities in the Holy Land...

P.S.

I have both Carse and Thieves World and I'd love to put them to good use in Glorantha.

• Like 1

I brought this very topic up in the Heortland Landscape thread back in September 2019...

On 9/29/2019 at 12:22 PM, Ian Absentia said:

For those of us fortunate enough to own copies of the excellent Thieves' World boxed set, what's the current "canon" position on the correlation between Sanctuary and Refuge in Esvular?  Or, for that matter, Midkemia's Carse to Glorantha's Karse?  Understanding, of course, that we're free to do what we want with non-Gloranthan source materials.

In my Glorantha, I've added canals to Sanctuary instead of sewers and paired it to Corflu, which has become a masterwork of Lunar military naval construction c.1614-15.  Instead of being rundown with age, it's boomtown ramshackle.  Think of early-era Venice mashed with contemporary PRC island-building.

...with much good input from @Joerg and a link to an even earlier thread on the topic.  I was particularly impressed by the pairing of the Beysibs to the Waertagi (though the Beysib invasion occurred after my interest in the Sanctuary stories had waned).

The more mundane upshot of that sub-topic was that, while the early days of the RPG hobby allowed for a wild and woolly cross-pollination, Karse and Refuge are officially divorced from their incipient roots.  That won't stop you, though!

!i!

• Thanks 2

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green

16 minutes ago, Ian Absentia said:

The more mundane upshot of that sub-topic was that, while the early days of the RPG hobby allowed for a wild and woolly cross-pollination, Karse and Refuge are officially divorced from their incipient roots.  That won't stop you, though!

As @Ian Absentia notes, while those old sets were "adopted" into Glorantha back in the early 1980's, they are separate IP and not part of current Glorantha.  Karse and Refuge will be unique and distinct.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, smiorgan said:

At least, in the French magazine Tatou I saw a version of Refuge that was heavily modeled on Sanctuary. But I do not know if this was a Chaosium thing or just the French...

As far as I know, Tatou's Refuge has been written by Guillaume Fournier, part of Oriflam team. It is described as 'freely inspired by Thieve's World (by Chaosium)'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1