Shamans and Greater Entities

Brootse

According to the rules, I don't think so.

However, I would contact whichever Greater Entity is in charge of your tradition or cult.

So, if you are a shaman of Waha, you would normally get your Shamanic abilities from Waha. If you are a Waha shaman but have access to the Sunset Society, you might have Xentha or another Darkness Deity as a Greater Entity. 

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, Brootse said:

When a shaman wants to contact a Greater Entity to get more Shamanic Abilities, does it matter which entity is contacted?

From a rules perspective, no.

From an in-game perspective - I'd absolutely expect so!  (And generally this is something I'd want to play out.)  Generally, you'd approach a Greater Entity that is tied to your cult or spirit society as they should be friendly.  (Friendly meaning they will help you gain the ability, and impose relevant taboos.)  If you approach a Greater Entity opposed or hostile to your cult, etc. you might well find your soul enslaved or devoured, and your body left to wither and die in the real world.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, jajagappa said:

From a rules perspective, no.

From an in-game perspective - I'd absolutely expect so!  (And generally this is something I'd want to play out.) 

Yes! And every one should be an important thing, a great event, often a shamanic heroquest. If a PC wants to interact with a Great Entity, it should be a big thing!

Which doesn't mean you only get abilities from friendly powers. Sometimes confronting the other is just what you need to get a power. Sometimes a terrifying experience, like being ripped apart and having to reassemble yourself, or losing a body part or organ but making a replacement. 

• Like 1