Using All 3: Magic, Sorcery, & Psychic Powers

samwise7

I'm debating about using Magic, Sorcery, and Psychic powers in a setting, and I was wondering if I'm painting myself into a disaster.

What are some possible downfalls, and or problems with trying to include all three of the above powers?

Should I try to limit myself to two?

I plan on using Mutations and some Super Powers to describe some of the fantasy races, but I won't use those powers for anything else.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients

http://samwise7.yolasite.com (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, Etc.)

I've used all three in multiple campaigns. Fractured Hopes is written with the understanding that all power sets are available in the game. It looks like a bit much, truly, but in actual play, it's not nearly as bad as you may think it may be.

Remember, individual characters have access to so many powers, and, without knowing the rule system in detail, they aren't necessarily going to know game breaking power combos.

It has been my experience that players will, if given access to multiple power systems, pick the ones that help flesh out a theme, rather than picking powers to create a "perfect" build.

The only weird interminglings I've noticed are:

1. If you are using the Fate Point rules, then the Extra Energy Super Power will also grants an increased ability to effect dice rolls. You may opt to select that only original Power Points can affect fate.

2. It is possible, through powers, to bring characteristics to god-like levels, even as an entry level character. Generally, this will not break the game. If you've got someone with a high DEX, you can count on them to go first in combat, and almost always be able to make an Agility Roll. Someone with a high STR will do a lot of damage in combat, and so on.

If you know these facts about the characters beforehand, you can use these weird character attributes as hooks to hang adventures on. If you do so, they become more like tools for the GM and less likely to hinder to creative play.

Do what your instincts tell you is right, and roll with the punches during play. If you second guess yourself now, you may rob yourself and your players of surprising roleplaying opportunities.

I've used all three in multiple campaigns. Fractured Hopes is written with the understanding that all power sets are available in the game. It looks like a bit much, truly, but in actual play, it's not nearly as bad as you may think it may be.

Remember, individual characters have access to so many powers, and, without knowing the rule system in detail, they aren't necessarily going to know game breaking power combos.

It has been my experience that players will, if given access to multiple power systems, pick the ones that help flesh out a theme, rather than picking powers to create a "perfect" build.

The only weird interminglings I've noticed are:

1. If you are using the Fate Point rules, then the Extra Energy Super Power will also grants an increased ability to effect dice rolls. You may opt to select that only original Power Points can affect fate.

In addition some powers require matching power points vs powers points which can make for a problem with Extra Energy; for the reason above I limit the roll to 'core'/base power points. Similarly Super POW is very potent if combined with Magic or Psionics.

If excluding super powers then this problem is mitigated. In terms of raw power Magic seems to have a feel of greater power. As such don't forget to limit it by imposing the DEX ranks/strike ranks penalty or cost for using higher levels of Magic. To balance the fact that psionics is a little more limited in power point costs (dependent as it is usually on target POW), I allow psionics to act as though the power level/power point cost is 1 - in other words psionics is faster and tends to use up power point reserves more quickly.

I haven't tried Sorcery alongside the other two.

Very slowly working towards completing my monograph.

I don't think there is anything stopping you using all five different power systems in one setting if you want to. None of them are mutually exclusive to the others. For me, though, Magic and Sorcery are more for fantasy settings, while Psychic powers, Mutations and the other Powers are more sci-fi orientated.

Actually, I'd have preferred Mutations and Powers to have been integrated into one overall category - if only to satisfy those gamers who like advantage/disadvantage systems.

The thought I had was that no character could posses more than one avenue of Power. Or in other words they couldn't use Psychic, Sorcery, and Magic, but rather would have to pick one of the three and stick with it.

I liked the suggestion in the book about giving non-powered characters extra gizmos and doodads and more mundane skill points to try to balance things out.

It seems like the Super Powers are quite powerful, especially when mixed with the other systems, so I should be careful when I give them out to flavor the races.

I was also wondering how a character that uses Sorcery, would stack up against a Pschic, or a Magician, etc. Are one of these 3 systems inherintly more powerful when all are allowed?

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I can work in Sorcery, Magic, and Psychic Powers, I just want to try to prepare for any hidden pot holes before I drive my campaign down the proverbial road, hehe.

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients

http://samwise7.yolasite.com (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, Etc.)

One of the issues to think about with sorcery alongside the other forms is the requirement of a successful skill rol for magic and psionics, but not for sorcery. Thus there is a greater predictablity in its use, even if this only a perception.

Edited by leonmallett

I'd think that it's also a matter of how much 'balance' you want in your game... sometimes 'balance' is a wild-goose chase to nowhere.

Agreed. I feel balance is over-emphasized at times when ultimately when sufficient variables come into play it becaomes an impossible chase.

Balance utlimately is probably best enforeced by player and gamemaster choices rather than any arbitrary limits.

With the variety of dangers that BRP can offer, no-one is impervious and to me that it the best balncing factor. :)

That said, in my current playtest campaign magic does feel very powerful with ceratin spell combinations and a sufficiently high POW...