Can Uz and Aldryami ever be friends?

Mythforger

Each race is by default evil for others

there is no good side in glorantha ; just one very very bad

but there are individuals who are able to see the Other differently. because experience, cult (like chalana), or open mind 

so i think a friendship between one elf and one troll is possible

but they may be suspect or hated by booth their own kin and the other kin

it is more difficult to be appreciated by a community than an individual 

it is more difficult to be appreciated by a kingdom than a community

it is more difficult to be appreciated by a race than a kingdom(or a forest)

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Heck, this goes for each nation, and sometimes each tribe or even each clan.

for sure

I don't know if there is any creature (as a race) which is "programmed" to not consider the other (same race or not) as a competitor, a prey, a threat or a slave (I mean before taking the time to consider morale value) but it is no more a gloranthan topic ^^

14 minutes ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

for sure

I don't know if there is any creature (as a race) which is "programmed" to not consider the other (same race or not) as a competitor, a prey, a threat or a slave (I mean before taking the time to consider morale value) but it is no more a gloranthan topic ^^

Possibly Pelmre or Gold Wheel Dancers, but we know so little of them that it's anyone's guess.

"Evil" is a very loaded term, especially in RPGs due to the influence of the Grand Old Game and it's particular take on the issue. It doesn't have a canonical definition or meaning in Glorantha though, and certainly no special significance at a rules level, even in the various magic systems.

We can still talk about it though, just as we can in the real world. The Aztecs sacrificed human lives to their gods, in Medieval Europe one interrogation method was to literally roast the suspect's feet over a fire until the flesh fell off their bones. Does that make Aztecs and Medieval Europeans evil? Does it make humans evil? Clearly it means they were capable of it, but how broad a brush are we willing to paint with here?

I think this is relevant to discussion of the individual relationships between members of the various races of Glorantha, because those relationships exist within the context of the relationships between their communities and peoples. I agree it will generally come down to the degree to which they can find common interests and priorities. We can see examples in Gloranthan mythology and history where people of different races have come together because they needed to as a matter of survival. There were other cases where they joined together entirely voluntarily to achieve common goals. There are examples of both of those for Aldryami and Uz too. In any of those situations they worked together and it's quite conceivable that individuals collaborating to achieve common objectives might come to understand, respect, value and even trust each other as individuals. Why not?

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!