Help for tonight's session! Presto!

smiorgan

Hi BRP people,

In two hours I will be gamemastering my Stormbringer game. Do you know any version of BRP with rules for breaking doors/ gates.

Big monster is at the gate trying to tear it down. What should I use?

1. Attack, armor and gate's HP?

2. STR vs some value on the resistance table?

Yes, I could do it narratively but I do want a mechanic to roll dice and create tension round by round.

Thanks for your help!

In RQ3, objects had only armour points that you could reduce by surpassing them with the damage done to them.

So for example, a castle door has 20 AP. The giant attacks and does 16 pts of damage. The door holds. Next turn, the giant does 22 damage, so the door has now 18 AP and it will be easier to break now, etc.

• Thanks 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

There's also the thing where defenders rush in with bracing timbers, heavy/bulky objects, etc.  Ups tension, increases the frantic-desperation vibe; gives the defenders more Things To Do (PC actions).

I presume there's a gatehouse that will be shooting arrows at the BigBad, pouring boiling oil, etc etc etc...

For a brute force gate-breach, I'd be rolling a STR+SIZ attack.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 hours ago, RosenMcStern said:

1. for creating tension. With 2 it could easily break it in one round.

This is what I did in the end. But the monster still managed to effectively hit the door in the first round (despite low skill) and do an inordinate amount of damage surpassing the door's more than decent armor (9) and all its hp (20) in one blow!

Well the combat went differently than planned but it was still fun....  

20 hours ago, g33k said:

There's also the thing where defenders rush in with bracing timbers, heavy/bulky objects, etc.  Ups tension, increases the frantic-desperation vibe; gives the defenders more Things To Do (PC actions).

Yes, that was the idea. There were convenient piles of wood around that could be used to reinforce the gate. But it went down in a single round instead...