New Power Idea

Lloyd Dupont

I was trying to come up with a power concept that I could use liberally to give 1 or 2 power to most NPC in a shameless non op fashion....
So that I don't end up with the players having 6 casters against either powerless mob, or esoteric powerful one.. but instead common soldiers with a surprise...

Initially I like the concept .. but then I realize it's a bit like sorcery, except less flexible (less spell choice) yet more powerful (the equivalent MP they cast is higher). So I am wondering whether the concept is sound or not!? 😮 

Enough with the introductions, here is the power mechanic for you to comment on!

--

Adepts are a new kind of magical practitioner. Each adept follows a way, or magical discipline. A discipline is a list of up to 6 magic spells and a skill named after it.

An adept, or practitioner, has a “Way of the Discipline Name” skill that define how far his mastery of the way goes.

For every 20% In the skill he can learn one power of the discipline that cost less that skill/20% magic point to cast. For every 10% in the skill and adept get one cast slot. And he can cast any of the power he or she know using a cast slot in the power phase of the round (INT+D10 initiative).

Adept can recover each slot with 1-hour meditation.

Magician can create new discipline by teaching their way to a group of students. They can choose up to 4 spell they know at 80%+ or 5 spell they know at 100%+ or 6 spell they know at 120%+ and teach them to new recruit as part of a new way. Spell level / MP cost is decided when creating the discipline.

Edited by Lloyd Dupont

I think it's "sound" but agree with hix's question about if slots are really needed. 

Now, if you want to tie the number of speels cast per day to skill i some way, you could have skill give extra MPS or reduce the MP cost for some spells based upon skill, but that could be risky with variable spells. Alternately you could have the skill affect the rate at which magic points recover in some way. Maybe something like a skill roll every hour to get back an extra MP (or maybe as an alternative to the 1/24 POW every day). 

BTW, Are you going to pre-build the various disciplines, say upon some sort of themes such as basing a discipline on the four basic elemental forces? Or are you going to let the players build their own disciplines? Obviously not all spells (nor all combinations of spell) are equal. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

4 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

I was trying to come up with a power concept that I could use liberally to give 1 or 2 power to most NPC in a shameless non op fashion....
So that I don't end up with the players having 6 casters against either powerless mob, or esoteric powerful one.. but instead common soldiers with a surprise...

Initially I like the concept .. but then I realize it's a bit like sorcery, except less flexible (less spell choice) yet more powerful (the equivalent MP they cast is higher). So I am wondering whether the concept is sound or not!? 😮 

Enough with the introductions, here is the power mechanic for you to comment on!

--

Adepts are a new kind of magical practitioner. Each adept follows a way, or magical discipline. A discipline is a list of up to 6 magic spells and a skill named after it.

An adept, or practitioner, has a “Way of the Discipline Name” skill that define how far his mastery of the way goes.

For every 20% In the skill he can learn one power of the discipline that cost less that skill/20% magic point to cast. For every 10% in the skill and adept get one cast slot. And he can cast any of the power he or she know using a cast slot in the power phase of the round (INT+D10 initiative).

Adept can recover each slot with 1-hour meditation.

Magician can create new discipline by teaching their way to a group of students. They can choose up to 4 spell they know at 80%+ or 5 spell they know at 100%+ or 6 spell they know at 120%+ and teach them to new recruit as part of a new way. Spell level / MP cost is decided when creating the discipline.

You know, this has some similarity to the Psychic Powers rules I've made for the Fading Suns to BRP document. The psychic can choose a bunch of psychic paths which are skills that unlock more powerful abilities as you increase your skill rating. Check it out, it might give you some inspiration for some of the disciplines.

You like Fading Suns? Well, I made a thing that's kinda like it!

- I was inspired by Diablo. Diablo has both Mana (i.e. Magic Point) and Cooldown. And I thought why not do that too, and make this a cooldown based magic version (a slot is a cooldown that is recovered y meditation). Come to think of it, an easy way to make it decisively less OP is reduce slot significantly.. like 1 every 30~40%?

- While I was opening the possibility to player to create their own way, it's impossible for starter character to do (not enough spell skill at 100%!) so they would have to follow a cultural and local way that I prepare in advance, if they so wish.

- thanks going to take a look at that! :)

Oooo.. this fading sun stuff is cool! too bad I made so much progress on my Master of Orion setting other wise I would use that for scifi! :) 

But going to see if I can steal a few ideas! :)

As for powers.. my version was purposely more simple.. so I can just easily and quickly mash power together to make some holy warrior order, without worrying too much whether they are the same kind of power... But your is interesting too! :)

BTW I got a vaguely similar But also simplified (only 3 levels at best) for the Psionic in my Master of Orion settings... :) 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lloyd Dupont said:

That is pretty much how Revolution does it, with slots for powers.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here