Frequency of Sanity Checks

Grimmshade

Quick question for Keepers out there.

How often do PC's need to make Sanity checks for the same thing?

Say they go in an attic and a skull floats at them. They make Sanity Checks and run away. They later return, and the skull floats at them again. Do they make Sanity Checks again even though they have seen the skull?

I've run CoC on and off since the 80's, but I've never really been sure when to make repeated Sanity Checks. I've often had players be like "but we KNOW the skull floats now, so we are ready for it.", to which I don't usually have an answer.

• Like 1

This is an example where I deviate from the RAW. The RAW says that they make another check. However, many scenarios and campaigns feature alterations that reduce or eliminate the SAN checks after a certain point. In my campaign, Serpent People feature heavily, and my players don't make SAN checks anymore, similar to the "War Experience Package" featured in The Investigator's Handbook. My players have become quite judicious in taking deliberate action to guard their compatriots against unnecessary SAN checks. The good ol' Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom "Don't come up here!" when he discovers the statue of Kali on the way to Pankut Palace.

My philosophy is that, like with any issue, you have to know your group and what feels "fair" to them, which does require some trial and error for each new group. I've encountered the full range of players outraged if you don't SAN them at every opportunity (because going insane is one of the most fun parts of the game for them) to players dismayed that a Keeper would keep superficially dinging them and ignore their experience in the field. Neither end of the continue is wrong.

• Like 2

I think I might just go with wherever feels right at the time then. I know Bonus Dice per RAW don't apply to Sanity, but I might offer that at times as a middle ground. 

There is also the "getting used to awfulness" rules, but tracking the total Sanity lost from every PC for every single thing they have seen quickly becomes a pain. 

I'd say it depends on the situation and how stressful it is.

In your example of the skull, if the skull is floating around and comes at them in a threatening manner, it may call for another roll but only lose 1 point if they fail. Its a bit weird but yeah, you're kind of ready for it. 

If it's a hideous bloated corpse that is moving or a giant monster that is aggressive, coming back to it at a later point would call for another roll because its such an even greater unsettling experience than a floating skull.

• Like 1

I think every moment the violation of nature is visible is an opportunity to observe something new, to gain a deeper understanding of the mythos.

I once saw a deadly Australian brown snake disappear into a gap in one of my house walls. Being familiar with it and knowing what it was did nothing for my sanity that night.

Seeing death slithering by and violating your sense of safety is not something you really get used to. If it had happened the next night I don’t think I would have felt more relaxed about it.

Edited by EricW
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Grimmshade said:

Say they go in an attic and a skull floats at them. They make Sanity Checks and run away. They later return, and the skull floats at them again. Do they make Sanity Checks again even though they have seen the skull?

I've run CoC on and off since the 80's, but I've never really been sure when to make repeated Sanity Checks. I've often had players be like "but we KNOW the skull floats now, so we are ready for it.", to which I don't usually have an answer.

I wouldn't have them lose sanity again for the exact same encounter (as that seems odd, plus it would discourage running away). And even an entirely different floating skull encounter (say, later that night while they are sleeping) would still have limited SAN loss (due to "Getting used to awfulness" p.169).

• Like 2