Archery tournament

How do/would you run an archery tournament?

I'm not finding rules for it, but my players wanted one at High King Aurelius Ambrosius's Pentecostal feast (we've been playing for like at least six months and we got from winter 480 to Pentecost.  I <3 my players!)

It's this weekend, and I'm wondering if any of y'all have any specific or in-depth rules?

either e/em/eir pronouns OR fey/fem/fear OR be/bim/bos pronouns {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}

My Patreon for RPG writing and streaming ; Lucifer's Shards: Sub-Creations Taking Root in Ein Soph Aur {an rpg blog} ; Find me on social medias

"So I don’t even want to hear about reality. I don’t want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"

Archery is something that the commoners compete in... See Robin Hood. He doesn't shoot against knights or pretend to be a knight himself.

That being said, if you want to keep it simple, you can run it as a simplified tournament: roll Bow and if you crit, you win. Glory should be low, like a neighborhood tournament. See the rules for tournaments in GPC.

If you want to make it more complex, you can do it with opposed skill rolls, the higher success wins and earns like 1-2 glory. Opponent skill 10+2 per extra round. If you win 7 rounds, you win the archery event and get extra champion archer glory (see previous).

Edited by Morien

2 hours ago, Morien said:

Archery is something that the commoners compete in... See Robin Hood. He doesn't shoot against knights or pretend to be a knight himself.

The way I'm thinking about it is that we're on the edge of Uther, when the last vestiges of Roman civilization and stratification are giving way to a widespread muck and blood of warlords in pretty clothes.  At the moment, the socioeconomic classes are muddled and mixed and fluid, so while commoners did not fight in the melee, knights can compete in the bow tournament.  But this does give me the idea of having the knights compete against and maybe get beaten by commoners and have to deal with that..... The Norse(wo)man in my group prolly won't care, but I hope the two Brits and the Pict might get a bit more of a burr under their butt.

• Like 1

either e/em/eir pronouns OR fey/fem/fear OR be/bim/bos pronouns {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}

My Patreon for RPG writing and streaming ; Lucifer's Shards: Sub-Creations Taking Root in Ein Soph Aur {an rpg blog} ; Find me on social medias

"So I don’t even want to hear about reality. I don’t want reality. Reality will only ever be exclusionary." --Aevee Bee, "Toward a Cutie Aesthetic"

I don't think an archery tournament is a good idea for knights in KAP. However, if you want rules.

1) 3 unopposed rolls in bow (^^). A success, 1 point, a crit 3 points, a failure 0, and a fumble -1 (did you hit someone?). You must have 3 points at least to go to the finale.

2) Final. 3 opposed rolls against all finalists (as chosen by the GM). If equality occurs, go for an extra round.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2021 at 9:03 PM, Tizun Thane said:

I don't think an archery tournament is a good idea for knights in KAP. However, if you want rules.

1) 3 unopposed rolls in bow (^^). A success, 1 point, a crit 3 points, a failure 0, and a fumble -1 (did you hit someone?). You must have 3 points at least to go to the finale.

2) Final. 3 opposed rolls against all finalists (as chosen by the GM). If equality occurs, go for an extra round.

Good system Tizun.  I would suggest +0 honor for entering and +10 Honor for winning, with a prize purse of 30 pennies.  It is a peasant competition after all.

8 hours ago, Darius West said:

Good system Tizun.  I would suggest +0 honor for entering and +10 Honor for winning, with a prize purse of 30 pennies.  It is a peasant competition after all.

I think you mean +10 Glory. +10 Honor would be a hell of a reward for winning a mundane competition, much less an archery competition.

That said, I'd think a martial competition sponsored by and watched by the warrior class would merit a little better than that, even if it is primarily for the common soldiery. Maybe a purse of £1 for first place and +50 Glory.

Edited by Leingod
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Leingod said:

I think you mean +10 Glory. +10 Honor would be a hell of a reward for winning a mundane competition, much less an archery competition.

That said, I'd think a martial competition sponsored by and watched by the warrior class would merit a little better than that, even if it is primarily for the common soldiery. Maybe a purse of £1 for first place and +50 Glory.

LOL yep, thanks for the edit.