Bloop-gasm!

svensson

A couple of years ago, I offered a bit of American firearms history to a European friend about what weapons were common in 20's and 30's America and the social conditions therein.

I opined that the reason why so many CoC meat puppets, er... investigators... liked the 12 gauge shotgun was that it did a lot of damage for one attack roll. And that most things in the Mythos that could be damaged by a physical attack really did need all that damage to punch through their various protections. I further advised that the Winchester M1898 12 ga. pump shotgun was a dandy weapon and did stalwart service in the trenches of War One and that it even had a bayonet lug!

And then I saw THIS little bit of OMFG ironmongery...

My fellow ne'er do wells, allow me to introduce to you....

The pump action 40mm grenade launcher / bloop gun. Like Olivia Munn in a string bikini, this thing is just another one of God's little ways of saying He loves us and wants us to be happy....

[forgotten weapons link below -- because Gun Jesus has ALL the cool toys]

https://www.forgottenweapons.com/china-lake-40mm-pump-action-grenade-launcher/

Edited by svensson
clarification
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EricW said:

I'll see your bloop gun and raise you a Davy Crockett 🙂

THAT'S the kind of shit that happens when you let engineers design stuff without real people explaining 'consequences' to them...

Edited by svensson
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Videopete said:

Like the Pankor Jackhammer bureaucracy and pure human stupidity killed an amazing firearm.

I think character sheets equipped with Pankor Jackhammers /Atchisson AA-12 probably exceed the actual number of Jackhammers /AA-12 ever constructed. They're the kind of thing people who've never fired a 12 ga. or carried a 20 lbs. rifle in their arms all freaking day long like to equip their characters with 🤣😁

6 hours ago, svensson said:

THAT'S the kind of shit that happens when you let engineers design stuff without real people explaining 'consequences' to them...

An even stranger device was built.

Project Orion was an attempt to design a spaceship powered by nuclear explosives. They did plenty of tests, for a while Orion was considered as the space drive for the Kennedy moon mission, before the politicians chickened out and went with the Saturn chemical rockets. Or course the Orion version of Apollo wouldn't have been just a moon mission, there were plans for a tour of the inner solar system, with landings on the moon and Mars, and a visit to Venus.

They needed really small nuclear bombs for the manned version of Orion, because humans would be pulverised by the shockwave of a really large blast, even though the space ship could be engineered to survive such forces.

Freeman Dyson's son George Dyson claimed in his book Project Orion that his dad designed and tested an atomic bomb which could fit in a shoebox. Only a few kilotons yield - but that would be plenty for a device that portable.

Really wonder what would have happened if Project Orion had survived. The most powerful design could have powered a starship capable of 3-4% of the speed of light. At that speed, a manned mission to Proxima Centauri, or even long distance missions to visit Hastur's city of Carcosa on Alderberan, would just barely have been possible ;-).

Edited by EricW
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, EricW said:

An even stranger device was built.

Project Orion was an attempt to design a spaceship powered by nuclear explosives. They did plenty of tests, for a while Orion was considered as the space drive for the Kennedy moon mission, before the politicians chickened out and went with the Saturn chemical rockets. Or course the Orion version of Apollo wouldn't have been just a moon mission, there were plans for a tour of the inner solar system, with landings on the moon and Mars, and a visit to Venus.

I know of it. From the Eisenhower /Kenndy 'Our Friend, The Atom' era...

• Like 1

Well, to be fair, we had portable nukes too. I've met a couple of SF guys from the 10th SFGA who had that 'chore' on their bucket list.

But yeah, we didn't entrust the security of damned things to pissed off KGB types who got RIF'd with no pension...