Reconciling Maps for Apple Lane

Bren

31 minutes ago, Scornado said:

I use the GM Screen map of the buildings at the centre of Apple Lane village, but the wider map of the place is hopeless.  I'd made one of my own in Campaign Cartographer, and attach two views of the Apple Lane Thaneship that may be of use.

Apple Lane Environs.JPG

Apple Lane Fields.JPG

Nice maps, but IMG the terrain needs a lot more altitude lines (isohypses) - Apple Lane wouldn't be that flat. Water management would be an issue.

• Like 3

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I prefer levels of shading over contour lines (which are great if you have the time but heavy on effort and processing when the map redraws), and shading only permits so many levels if it is to retain its distinction.  I agree the areas away from Apple Lane village itself probably should have more relief.

27 minutes ago, Scornado said:

I prefer levels of shading over contour lines (which are great if you have the time but heavy on effort and processing when the map redraws), and shading only permits so many levels if it is to retain its distinction.  I agree the areas away from Apple Lane village itself probably should have more relief.

I am struggling with fine-grained contour maps at the moment, too, as I want to map intertidal and flooding areas. Shading is great if your vertical span is limited, but for the Quivini foothills, a color scale would be needed. Alternatively, one could simply cap the shading at max for altitudes more than say 1000 feet above the lowest point, yielding those as black or at least a very dark grey (say a brightness of 55, leaving you up to 200 shades of grey in between).

A different way to hint at contours would be the shadow cast by the terrain at a certain position of the sun, although in Glorantha that is limited to an eastward shadow for an afternoon sun or a westward shadow for a morning sun. (The noon sun is basically overhead, with hardly any but vertical shadow available.) I don't know of any convenient ways of obtaining such data short of producing an actual terrain model, though

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I'm also having problems the reconciling the maps of Colymar lands and surroundings in the GM Screen pack with the one of Sartar in the Starter Set.  Greydog for example seems to be in two different places: I am assuming the more recen Starter set map is correct but it's annoying.

12 hours ago, Scornado said:

I'm also having problems the reconciling the maps of Colymar lands and surroundings in the GM Screen pack with the one of Sartar in the Starter Set.  Greydog for example seems to be in two different places: I am assuming the more recent Starter set map is correct but it's annoying.

The Northern Sartar map in the Starter is based directly on Greg's master map, so is now the de facto standard. The GM Screen pack are art maps, giving a general idea, but not really accurate, but good enough to game with.

As a side note, remember the Rotroots are Varmandi, not Hiordings and that the hamlet is shared. I put the Rotroots on the northern side of the hamlet, closer to the Varmandi (the border is the river).

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Thanks David, that is comforting.  About the Rotroots, I had not spotted that but I don't think I need to retcon.  The Thane position seems a bit odd anyway as Apple Lane is a tiny place and the thaneship seems to cross clan borders.  I've rationalised it in my game (on my website) and we've just got on with the game.  There are far more important things happening than petty local squabbles anyway: Argrath plans to visit his birthplace on the Starfire Ridges, a sort of state visit!