Non-Human Missile Hit Locations

Foen

I'm working on a BRP conversion for the Fantasy Grounds virtual table-top software, and am struggling with missile hit locations. The BRP rulebook (p190) has humanoid hit locations for melee and missile attacks, but the non-humanoid tables in chapter11 (pp368-369) are only for melee attacks.

Is there any authoritative source for non-human missile hit locations?

Cheers

Foen

I'm working on a BRP conversion for the Fantasy Grounds virtual table-top software, and am struggling with missile hit locations. The BRP rulebook (p190) has humanoid hit locations for melee and missile attacks, but the non-humanoid tables in chapter11 (pp368-369) are only for melee attacks.

Is there any authoritative source for non-human missile hit locations?

Cheers

Foen

They would be in 3rd ed. RuneQuest (Avalon Hill) and are summed up in roughly two and a half pages of the creatures chapter of that book. If you don't have access to them, send me a PM and I can prolly help you out.

Rod

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

Thanks Rod - I have a copy of the 3rd edition RQ book, and can see the missile hit location data alongside the melee data for each creature. It sounds like you might have a different version though, if there is a summary (rather than each creature having its own chart).

Foen

Thanks Rod - I have a copy of the 3rd edition RQ book, and can see the missile hit location data alongside the melee data for each creature. It sounds like you might have a different version though, if there is a summary (rather than each creature having its own chart).

Foen

Do you have the Avalon Hill version or the Games Workshop version? In my copy of the Avalon Hill verion they are also all gathered at the end of the creatures chapter, while in my Games Workshop version it doesn't do this.

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

My version is labelled with the Games Workshop, Avalon Hill and Chaosium logos, 1987, ISBN 1-869893-05-0.

Page 24 has the humanoid melee and missile hit location tables, which are the same as the BRP ones. Pages 56 to 72 have descriptions of each creature with one or two columns for hit locations by melee or missile/magic.

I should be sorted now, thanks to everyone :)

Stuart

Ah-ha!

While I can find most of the BRP templates in RQ3, I am missing three of them:

• Multi-limbed: the RQ3 stats go up to 8 limbs, whereas BRP goes as far as 10 limbs;
  • Winged: there is no creature which matches this profile;
  • Winged Four-Legged: the RQ3 stats are closest with the Griffin template, but griffins have a different distribution.

Is there an official BRP source for this, or is it an area where the official rules are giving some freedom to the GM?

Cheers

Foen

Ah-ha!

Is there an official BRP source for this, or is it an area where the official rules are giving some freedom to the GM?

Cheers

Foen

As the GM I have had to come up with numerous hit location diagrams myself, if there isn't an existing hit location diagram representitive of the creature you want to create, just come up with it yourself. Just look at similar creatures for ideas.

Rod

Ah-ha!

While I can find most of the BRP templates in RQ3, I am missing three of them:

• Multi-limbed: the RQ3 stats go up to 8 limbs, whereas BRP goes as far as 10 limbs;

I think you are on your own here. My suggestion would be to use the Octopus charts, and steal points from Head and Body to add the extra limbs.

Winged: there is no creature which matches this profile;

How about the Wrym? There is also one used for Hawks

Winged Four-Legged: the RQ3 stats are closest with the Griffin template, but griffins have a different distribution.

How about the Dragon?

[quote=Foen;29516

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

Thanks for the help with this. As I am trying to do an official core-rules conversion, under licence from Chaosium, I think I'll have to just stick with the Humanoid missile hit locations from the BRP rulebook.

It also sounds like I should leave scope for GMs to add the non-Humanoid ones they'd like to use in their games.

As regards progress, it is a case of the old 80:20 rule - I'm 80% there with 20% of the effort, and have 20% left to finish which will take 80% of the effort. Perhaps not quite that bad: it won't be a January release, but if I can finish it for GenCon that would be cool.

Cheers

Stuart

Thanks for the help with this. As I am trying to do an official core-rules conversion, under licence from Chaosium, I think I'll have to just stick with the Humanoid missile hit locations from the BRP rulebook.

There is another useful publication called Basic Creatures, which is the creatures section of RQIII minus any Gloranthan creatures, that might prove helpful.

A few years ago I created a Creature Generator using Excel and VBA. It's available from my webpage (here). One of the is named HitLocs and contains data for a lot of hit location types. The data is available under OGL. I converted the data to Lua tables when I was working on my own hit location solution for FG (that work stopped when I heard about your project). PM me if you want a copy.

Peter Brink

For even more hit location types you could check out the "1990's handbook" for CoC. It has hit location rules for use with CoC and a lot of CoC creature hit locs. Those charts have no missile hit locations but many creatures that have alot of locations have the same die ranges for melee and missile hit locations (and quite a few of the CoC critters have a lot of locations...).

Peter Brink