Sorcery question

Murf

8 minutes ago, Godlearner said:

Not like I need permission to. The issue of course when you start down that path is why even bother converting? Anything you come up with is can, and most likely will be invalidated with what the will come up with. Keep what you have from the system you were using and adapt parts from what you like.

I suspect what will happen in (a,far off future that I'll probably not be around to see) are some rulings that actually don't make any sense, in an attempt to "balance" things (aka, not make things OP). For example, I note that a lot of the current LM spells are Passive and Ranged... Total Recall, SotLM, Logical Clarity... Yet Logician is Self and Active. (Perhaps it should only by Active when actually focussed on knowing something, or searching your mind for information). Even Enhance INT is Touch Passive.

So... Why the need to make it Self??? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Godlearner said:

At the moment the RQG rules do not have a Form/Set spell. It is a left over from RQ3 so any method suggested would have to be Homebrew.

No, I got that. And it threw me for enough of a loop that I had to go pull my book and look it up! 🤣

And as stated, the RQ3 spell says that you have to have a measure of the substance to form/set; a kg. of solid matter, or a cubic meter of insubstantial matter.

And as far as home brewing, if sticking to something of the magic as described, I'm unclear how you would home-brew to get the effect you want. You could always introduce a new spell to do it, but then it kind-of seems like your just importing magic-missile, lightning bolt, or fireball from DnD into the game. And that's fine if your trying to introduce magic artillery, but doesn't seem to quite fit Glorantha.

Now, multiple flying Rune-Priest's raining down Orlanth's wrath from the sky, that's right up Glorantha's lane.

SDLeary

51 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Command Combine Stasis Movement

So we are looking at a minimum 5pt spell (one for each rune and each manipulation, and one just because)? Range would be 10m, but what would damage at base intensity look like. I'd say 1d3, simply because you want to be able to impart a warning shot on occasion.

SDLeary

7 minutes ago, SDLeary said:

And as stated, the RQ3 spell says that you have to have a measure of the substance to form/set; a kg. of solid matter, or a cubic meter of insubstantial matter.

How about a 6 point Lightning spell?? 😛

Personally, I'd be inclined not to have it, without a *lot* of research and effort... 

however, summoning a Storm demon - no problem!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SDLeary said:

So we are looking at a minimum 5pt spell (one for each rune and each manipulation, and one just because)? Range would be 10m, but what would damage at base intensity look like. I'd say 1d3, simply because you want to be able to impart a warning shot on occasion.

SDLeary

Form/Set isn't really the best way to use offensive magics... But it's great for quickly putting up walls, or sculpting jewellery or armour.

Just now, Shiningbrow said:

Form/Set isn't really the best way to use offensive magics... But it's great for quickly putting up walls, or sculpting jewellery or armour.

I agree... that was merely me trying to wrap my head around the suggestion. 🙂

SDLeary

8 hours ago, SDLeary said:

SDLeary

No, a 4pt spell. There is no just because. The only because is an extra round to cast it. I would say the damage would be as per the strength table.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:02 AM, soltakss said:

The ideal situation would be that Sorcery has no spells.

You just rely on the Runes and Techniques that you have mastered and improvise effects based on them.

I can't think of any basis for that in Greg's writing, correct me if I missed anything.

On 7/17/2021 at 5:02 AM, soltakss said:

The ideal situation would be that Sorcery has no spells.

You just rely on the Runes and Techniques that you have mastered and improvise effects based on them.

I see spells as just being handy little packages to make such improvisation easier.

If memory serves, there was a Stormbringer supplement dealing with The East that had sorcery structured something like this. 

5 hours ago, Godlearner said:

If memory serves, there was a Stormbringer supplement dealing with The East that had sorcery structured something like this. 

Yes, and is more currently available in the Advanced Sorcery MagicWorld supplement.

SDLeary

• Like 1