Crusaders of the Amber Coast - character generation

HierophantX

I'm curious if anyone knows if the chargen system used in CotAC will be closer to basic RQ ala Stupor Mundi, or will there be ethnic backgrounds more like Merrie England?

I've been playing around with a few ideas using Merrie England as an example for Gall-Gaels or Norsemen in the Isles for instance. I'm wondering how the various backgrounds would be applied to the Baltic setting.

Well, I suppose that I know :)

Basically, you have three ethnicities (German/Danish for the Invaders, and Balts or Estonian, which are different. for the natives), so there are sort of ethnic backgrounds. But since character generation is done with BRP and not with MRQ any longer, the ethnic differences are only relevant for the spoken language and the magic available. Skills depend on professions. Of course, as the Balts/Esthonians are barbarians, they have a very different selection And the professions available to the two groups are very different. No RuneQuest -like background is present, although you can easily adapt the system.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Well, I suppose that I know :)

Basically, you have three ethnicities (German/Danish for the Invaders, and Balts or Estonian, which are different. for the natives), so there are sort of ethnic backgrounds. But since character generation is done with BRP and not with MRQ any longer, the ethnic differences are only relevant for the spoken language and the magic available. Skills depend on professions. Of course, as the Balts/Esthonians are barbarians, they have a very different selection And the professions available to the two groups are very different. No RuneQuest -like background is present, although you can easily adapt the system.

I misread that the first time and thought that one of the ethnicities was "BAIT" which I thought was really unfortunate for them.

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

Future supplements for Merrie England will still have Nationalities as part of Character Generation, with different skills, religions and professions available to different nationalities. I'm not sure how many I'm going to include since not all impact on Merrie England specifically, but more on Merrie Europe.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here