Where to find Lunar Magic...?

Nick Underwood

The lunar arts (amplify, combine, prolong and distance) were described in the RQ3 supplement gods of glorantha.

I think that for RQG, for the time being, we can adapt what is decribed for sorcery in the rulebook

amplify <> intensity

prolong <> duration

distance <> range

combine was used to cast a number of spells simultaneously

Jean

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, jean said:

The lunar arts (amplify, combine, prolong and distance) were described in the RQ3 supplement gods of glorantha.

I think that for RQG, for the time being, we can adapt what is decribed for sorcery in the rulebook

amplify <> intensity

prolong <> duration

distance <> range

combine was used to cast a number of spells simultaneously

Thanks. That gives a good idea of what to expect. I'll see if I can find the RQ3 material as additional teaser for CoG. 

Edited: CoG not GoG. 

Edited by Nick Underwood

In RQ3, Lunar Magic was only available to members of the cult of the Red Goddess (meaning: practitioners are all Illuminates and Rune Level members of Lunar cults). It teaches skills that allow practitioners to manipulate Spirit Magic spells similar to the way sorcerers manipulate Sorcery spells. So a Lunar magician could know Heal 1 and then Amplify it on casting to be a Heal 6. Or could cast a Bladesharp that lasts longer, or a long-range Disruption that does more damage. 

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

16 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It will be coming in the Cults of Glorantha books - relevant to the Red Goddess cult only.  (If you have RQ3 supplement Gods of Glorantha it is described there too.)

Is it going to be essentially the same? Ie, works only on Spirit Magic? Has basically the same skills as RQG sorcery?

Or is it going for an overhaul and change?

32 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

Is it going to be essentially the same? Ie, works only on Spirit Magic? Has basically the same skills as RQG sorcery?

Or is it going for an overhaul and change?

Essentially the same - works on Spirit Magic; skills as before (e.g. Amplify, Prolong, etc.).

• Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

In RQ3, Lunar Magic was only available to members of the cult of the Red Goddess (meaning: practitioners are all Illuminates and Rune Level members of Lunar cults). It teaches skills that allow practitioners to manipulate Spirit Magic spells similar to the way sorcerers manipulate Sorcery spells. So a Lunar magician could know Heal 1 and then Amplify it on casting to be a Heal 6. Or could cast a Bladesharp that lasts longer, or a long-range Disruption that does more damage. 

Thanks Nick. I found the write up, along with lots of other cool stuff that I hope gets into the Cults book.

Lunar Magic seems to fill a nice niche that gives spirit magic some of the oompf of rune magic. Alas that it seems almost unattainable for most characters. It would be a nice mechanic for mid-level characters or Assistant Shaman that don't yet have access to the Shamanic super powers.