Soloquest on webb

Rekholm

12 minutes ago, Rekholm said:

recently i stumbled on a page that had soloquest on the webb with two characters. and looked playable on the webb but now i cannot find it.
thought i booked marked, but cannot find it. anyone else noticed this?

Found it was a bit hidden on Chaosium's site.

"That's easy", I thought. "It's on the product page for the Starter Set", I thought. So I went there to snag the link and... it isn't. There's no blurb on the Stream of Chaos page either to link to it.

Come on Chaosium this is crazy, the online soloquest is a great resource to advertise your product with. Why make it so hard to find?

It isn't in "Free Stuff" either. You should probably add the Starter Set free PDFs to that as well.

@Neil is this your department?

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

I came across it on the "Playing Runequest" page: https://www.chaosium.com/playing-runequest/. Played it through once. Personally, I think it has the potential to put people off as much as it will excite them. A final fight (for the path I took) that went 8 rounds before anyone took any damage, and an unparried slash didn't decide it, the fumbled CON roll a round later did. Woo.

Also, there are errors in its adaptation.

At one point, in one branch at least, you have to roll against Vasana's Reputation, but that stat has been elided from the truncated character sheets provided with the web-experience. Being other-than-a-newbie, I knew I could look to the free downloads of the starter set character sheets to find it, but total neophytes probably wouldn't have that knowledge.

There remain references in the web text to looking things up in a Starter Set book, which not everyone has.

It's entirely likely that Vasana's combat skills go over 100, and there's no mention of how to deal with that; including the mechanic would have the potential to shorten the critical fight to a non-tedious length.

Why does Vostor "always parry with his Kopis", when he's better with his shield, which has more HP, and won't deprive him of his primary means of attack if it is broken? If it's because it's all hacked about from a previous fight, it should say so, and how badly, in order that when his weapon arm is maimed he doesn't get better at defending himself. (I mean "as good at defending himself as he always orter've been"). 

And, as ever, when writers get too "purple", the numbers don't match the flavour text. Honour is by no means Vasana's best weapon; it's her third best Passion and equal-fourth with a load of other things in general. Her best weapons are her sword and her religious Devotion, and the text should reflect that, since Passions are a reflection of the character's attitudes. But someone came up with a story involving an Honourable Duel, so Honour had to get attention.

Could do better.

• Like 1