Difference between Starter Set rules and core book

AJ The Ronin

I can't think of anything that is missing from the starter rules that you would critically need for any of the published scenarios. Maybe some descriptions for spells that NPCs have, that would be all I think.

The rules for related languages aren't there so if there's an NPC that only speaks Esrolian, and the party all speak Heortling, you wouldn't know that you can use one at half chance to speak or understand the other. I think it really is fairly niche stuff like that that you would be missing.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ajtheronin said:

How difficult is to jump from the box set to the core? Can you play the already published scenarios with the basic rules only?

Sorry, I missed that part of the question. As Phil said, I do not think it would be difficult at all to jump from the starter set to the core book. Aside from the lack of character creation (but you can get a quick character creation from the wiki. In fact, so quick and summarized that it would have been nice to have it in the SS), the SS covers a surprinsgly broad ground. There are a few rule changes that are a bit baffling (see other thread) but it is generally consistent with the core rulebook. For published scenarios, I cannot think of anything else then maybe some spells not in the SS but that are all described in the Red Book of Magic.

• Helpful 1

Doesn't the Rattling Wind have some chariot stuff?
That's explicitly not included in the SS...

Can't think of any other adventures that call for anything beyond the SS (except of course the wider array of magic & Cults).

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, g33k said:

Doesn't the Rattling Wind have some chariot stuff?
That's explicitly not included in the SS...

There are some rules in the main book from attacking from or onto a chariot, I don't know if that figures prominently in TRW as I only briefly skimmed the scenario.

Edited by PhilHibbs

On 12/17/2021 at 9:19 PM, ajtheronin said:

Are there any big difference between both rules?

Only in the scope of the rules, the Q&A (starter set say) says:

Book 1: Rules

If you’re already familiar with RuneQuest or even Call of Cthulhu, these rules should be more than familiar, though this represents a streamlined and beginner-friendly version of the game mechanics. The rules presented in the RuneQuest core rulebook are more complex and address a wider range of situations likely to arise in extended play.

Starter Set Book 1 Rules, Players and Gamemasters Box, page 3

The Starter Set is designed for new players to access the game without having to buy the core rules. It contains enough to play the adventures within (and likely a few more). Having played the adventures, we’d hope that they would move on to the full rules. This is exactly the same as our Call of Cthulhu Starter set.

Something changed or drastically missing?

There is enough to play the scenarios provided, with the pregens provided. There is no character generation, or details of cults or magic beyond the info provided. There are no rules for situations beyond those adventures. This is just the same as the Call of Cthulhu starter set. 

How difficult is to jump from the box set to the core?

Easy, just more to read 🙂

Can you play the already published scenarios with the basic rules only?

The actual adventures would work fine. It's the NPCs that will present the problems. As all of the cults and magic aren't included, you'll be wondering who Gustbran is or how Summon Household Guardian actually works. Some adventures would work no problem at all, like The Grey Crane in Pegasus Plateau. There are likely a few others.

This is the same situation as the Call of Cthulhu starter set. I ran all the adventures within using the Starter rules, I ran a few adventurers in Doors to Darkness, then found I had to move on the the main rules. That was however only after 18 sessions. Your milage with the RQ Starter set will obviously vary.

Edited by David Scott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/