Power versus Magic Points

Storm Khan

Another question about spells for my more knowledgeable comrades. 

During spell casting and the expenditure of MP’s, does the effective POW of the caster equal the lower MP count? This is relevant, of course, for overcoming a target’s POW  

The language of the spell “reflection” suggests that effective POW and MP decease together, but I am having trouble finding that rule expressed directly  It is gnawing at me  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Storm Khan said:

During spell casting and the expenditure of MP’s, does the effective POW of the caster equal the lower MP count?

No, POW does not change, only the number of MP's.  This means that you still resist spells or overcome the resistance at a constant level (i.e. your willpower), but the energy you have to cast spells drops.

(Originally in RQ2, there were no MP's, only POW, so effective POW did drop in that version.  There might be some residual text/wording in the Reflection spell from that point in time.)

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

24 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

So its always POW versus POW and not current MP versus current MP? A PC with a POW of 20 but only 10 MP currently resists a Spirit with a 16 POW at their 20 POW level even they are down to 10 MP at the time?

Quick answer: Yes.

There are certain rare situations where that's not the case, but those are always specifically laid out in a scenario. These usually deal with contests versus Chaos or HeroQuester powers. But these are exceptions to the rule. 99% of the time, 'POW v. POW' means just that, POW statistic contesting with POW statistic.

Edited by svensson
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

A PC with a POW of 20 but only 10 MP currently resists a Spirit with a 16 POW at their 20 POW level even they are down to 10 MP at the time?

That depends on which version of the rules you are using.  Spirit Combat in RQG uses the Spirit Combat skill of each opponent, not POW, and you deal out a certain amount of Spirit Combat Damage (based on POW + CHA) against MP's. 

(But for Spell resistance, yes, it is current POW vs. current POW)

Edited by jajagappa
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1