Halfbird Quest – ions

Erol of Backford

1 hour ago, Erol of Backford said:

What's that, link?

Sorry AFK. Just as Jörg said.

The thing about such gifts is that the original owner may someday reclaim them. When you heal the Halfbird, the eye will pop right out of the PC’s face and go “home”, right? (Principle of the conservation of magical items or something.)

Spoiler

And Haberfield’s Arioch definitely looks Gloranthan:

Arioch — Corum 1thekingoftheswords.thumb.jpg.c1681d41f0efda5f2709d3d978390daf.jpg

• Thanks 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

8 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Unless she was its father? 

I read mother so I'll stick with that.

6 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

the eye will pop right out of the PC’s face and go “home”, right?

Well not really as the PC has given their eye to the Halfbrid to help heal it and to help both of them be bonded, kind of like apprentice bonding, giving a gift... of course one would question that isn't the PC the apprentice but the Halfbird becomes the PC's Allied Spirit and or Familiar?

It would be interesting either way.

9 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Sounds a bit Corum.

The first thing I thought of was the Eye and Hand of Vecna... why I recalled that instantly from when I was 13-14 means it must have been something that must have been very impactful in our game at the time!? What it was I don't know but from Stranger Tunings must be similar to them fighting a Demogorgon?

This could be really fun, especially if the PC's don't know what will happen.

http://dnd5e.wikidot.com/wondrous-items:eye-and-hand-of-vecna#:~:text=The Eye of Vecna and,artifact into the empty socket.

image.jpeg.d5afd3a513bbae9966d29c083e20f4a4.jpeg image.jpeg.5e0c9da1783dcb15c371080af50bb1ab.jpeg image.jpeg.1c35311c212ba56d9c98e89f0b090933.jpeg

I just read what may have caused the trama when I was a child: Each time you cast a spell from the eye, there is a 5 percent chance that Vecna tears your soul from your body, devours it, and then takes control of the body like a puppet. If that happens, you become an NPC under the DM's control.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I just read what may have caused the trama when I was a child: Each time you cast a spell from the eye, there is a 5 percent chance that Vecna tears your soul from your body, devours it, and then takes control of the body like a puppet.

Such a grisly fate can be avoided by using the eye as it was originally intended - by wearing Vecna's head. 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

I read mother so I'll stick with that.

It's ambiguous of course! As the text in the Guide (and originally in WBRM) notes (p.642): "During the God Time, he mothered five children and fathered four, and managed to save thousands of mortals from Death. Her children are too many to name, but five are well-known: The Preserver, the Twisted Horse, Goldtooth, Wily Joker, and Yellow Bear. The agonies which they inflicted upon mortals since the Dawn are hideous and innumerable."

So, you might find some stories that say she fathered Yellow Bear or that he mothered Yellow Bear. Who was there in the God-time to say? Or remembers now? (And from a standpoint in 1600, does it matter? Unlikely.)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

Her children are too many to name, but five are well-known: The Preserver, the Twisted Horse, Goldtooth, Wily Joker, and Yellow Bear.

You are correct that in 1600 it doesn't matter but if they have the Halfbird's eye in there head and are an allied spirit of the Halfbird but were a grandchild of the Yellow Bear it would be like time traveling to see grandmother or something like that, wait it'd only be via the eye some like Facetime but with a eye so Eyetime?

Weird.

Edited by Erol of Backford