Rubble and Ruin

Puck

Damn, I'm only interested in the pdf, cause its 33 dollars shipping to Norway because Chaosium uses only expensive international shipping, its har dto justify paying 13 dollar more for shipping then the cost of the actual product...

This is a bummer, since some of the info I really could use as inspiration for my own work Brent Jord (Brunt Earth), the mechanics/system and lists, not the actual setting. 55 dollars is to much...

Hoping this is fixed soooooon :(

Tea and Madness

Hi Rich,

I just wanted to say that I got a hardcopy during the latest sale and, although I won't have time to read it for some time yet, on a quick thumb-through it looks very impressive. Rubble and Ruin (and The Green, which I also ordered) both set a very high bar for layout and illistration. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi guys, can I post here a question about a houserules find at pag. 115 and 45 of Rubble & Ruins manual? I've undestand the rule of "AV/Risk" about the armors: how does it function?

Thanks

Hello Scarecrow,

Below is a reposting from the Rubble and Ruin thread under BRP Publications. I am going to double post your question to that thread, and I have added a few "design notes" to see if that helps clarify what I was trying to do in R&R.

R&R uses three kinds of armor; layering, non-layering and ballistic. Layering and non-layering refer to BRP p.261 and the special rule of layering armor. Basically (as I read it) you can have one layer of soft (or layering) armor and one of non-layering. As an aside, I have always allowed two layering armors if anyone wanted to that.

Ballistic armor comes from R&R p.47. Basically melee armor provides negligible protection against modern firearms – true fact, try it someday – instead to stop bullets you need ballistic armor. Ballistic armor has the property that it either effectively stops a bullet, or it provides almost no protection. That is Type I ballistic armor will stop a .22 round but provides almost no reduction in penetration to a rifle bullet (this is measured using a ballistic gel and measuring how deep a given round will penetrate – then you put the armor over the gel and fire again). To simulate this in R&R ballistic armor will either remove all of the risk of a bullet or failing that, it will only reduce the risk by one point.

[edited on repost] So for example “layering” cybernetic armor (cyber armor 2/6) under, say, synthaweave (5/0 AV) will protect for 7 (2+5) points of melee damage and 6 (6+0) ballistic.

So Rich (I hear you cry) why in the world did you do this?

R&R presents a mid- to high-crunch interpretation of modern firearms. It is trying to capture the feel of movies where the hero fears for his/her life whenever someone points a gun at them. Since this is a reasonable response in the real world, what I did was to try and develop a system that modeled many details of firearm combat, while at the same time keeping it simple enough that it plays quickly*. What you get if you use all the R&R mechanics is the nicely balanced damage by hit location system of “old school” Runequest for melee combat and a separate system with only modest bookkeeping overhead for firearms.

I do want to add that I am not claiming this is the best way to run all games in the world and everyone should make the distinction between melee and firearms. Instead, I view game mechanics as taking the same role as cinematography -- mechanics draw the audience (in this case the players) attention to certain details of the world, while ignoring others. In a R&R story, the lethality of firearms plays a critical role in defining the “feel” of the world -- in other stories it will not be so important and other rules can be used.

Does this help any? If not, please feel free to ask additional questions, and I will try my best.

Thanks for your interest,

Rich

* At this point I should confess that my “typical” gaming group has players evenly split between PhD scientists and undergraduate engineering students (with the occasional bachelor’s level computer scientist through in for variety) -- YMMV with how quickly the system plays, but it works great in my hands.

Ballistic armor comes from R&R p.47. Basically melee armor provides negligible protection against modern firearms – true fact, try it someday – instead to stop bullets you need ballistic armor. Ballistic armor has the property that it either effectively stops a bullet, or it provides almost no protection. That is Type I ballistic armor will stop a .22 round but provides almost no reduction in penetration to a rifle bullet (this is measured using a ballistic gel and measuring how deep a given round will penetrate – then you put the armor over the gel and fire again). To simulate this in R&R ballistic armor will either remove all of the risk of a bullet or failing that, it will only reduce the risk by one point.

So for example “layering” cybernetic armor (cyber armor 2/6) under, say, synthaweave (5/0 AV) will protect for 7 (2+5) points of melee damage and 6 (6+0) ballistic.

Thanks for you answer, Rleduc :)

But, I don't understand how you calculate, for example, the values 5/0 AV of synthaweave trasforming them in 2+5 points of melee damage. And, also, what is the A/V Risk of the armor? How shall I read this value when I study an armor on R&R?

Edited by The Scarecrow
grammatical error

There are two issues; layering and Ballistic protection. In the example a character is layering two different armors -- they have some cyberware armor and over it they are wearing synthaweave. As per the page cited in BRP you can only add the protection together if one of the armors are classified as "layering" and since, in this case, one is, then the melee protection is 2 from the cyberware and 5 from the synthaweave to a total of 7. But, if someone shot this character those 7 armor points will not help them; bullets ignore normal armor. Instead the characters ballistic protection is 6 from the cyberware (ballistic AV is always the second number) plus 0 from the synthaweave to a total of 6.

Now, if the character is shot with a Risk 6 or less weapon it will be fully absorbed by the armor. Ignore the attack. If the attack is 7+ Risk then all the armor does is reduce the Risk by 1: 7-1=6, 12-1=11 and so on. In effect the armor takes about one point of damage off the attack -- in most cases the Risk value is the top of a uniform distribution between 1 and the value (except that is it tweaked for easy dice rolling).

Does this help?

Rich