Rubble and Ruin

Puck

I just noticed Rubble and Ruin as well as Dragon Lines just came available on the Chaosium Website! (Of all things I just made an order yesterday for the Green. I sure hope I can add the new stuff to the other order to get the free shipping).

294/420

One question to the Author: would it be possible to see these nice Character Sheets in the Download area? Because the Chaosium Imprint is within the sheet and makes it kind of less usable. ;)

Ohhhh the author gets all excited and giddy!!!!

I didn’t expect it to be out for a few more weeks. I will add several documents to the downloads area today – include the character sheets, the color versions of the sample maps and a bonus “Book of Random Stuff You Find in the Ruin”.

Just picked up a copy of the PDF, and it looks great! I did notice 6 pages with major formatting errors (like half a page or more of text missing) and contacted Chaosium about it to let them know. Hopefully this isn't a bug that will show up in the print edition, which I plan to order.

Just for the record, this is probably the nicest post-apoc setting book I've seen in a long time. I'm already talking my Saturday group in to starting a campaign in the R&R universe. Great book! My favorite BRP monograph to date, actually.

I have talked with Charlie and Dustin regarding the messed up pages, and I will post what I learn here. There are top people working on the problem – TOP PEOPLE ;)

Also, camazotz great to hear that you liked the monograph! Let me know if you have any questions.

Here is what I know

1) the formatting issues were introduced when the PDF was finalized by adding a watermark, cover etc.

2) last Friday, after trying several “quick fixes” Charlie pulled the PDF of the website until the formatting issues can be resolved,

3) today Charlie should get the proof for the hard copy and be able to see if the error has affected it,

4) I did the page layout in Scribus (an open source DTP application), and have been trying to get feedback from the folks in the Scribus community – good news is they are friendly and responsive, the bad news is that the most recurrent piece of advice is that I should get a different publisher...

5) being new to publishing I had done all of my layout on a single layer, and being a little desperate, yesterday I created a version that has a separate layer for Charlie to put his work on – I have sent him a sample from that version, and hopefully we will soon know if that will correct the problem.

6) If you have bought a copy and are interested, PM me about getting a play-test PDF to tide you over until this is resolved.

Sorry for the confusion,

Rich

Well, here's to Charlie getting it back up soon, and to the print copies hopefully being intact! I'll wait a bit longer to see if fixed updates get on site that I can snag first, but if for some reason it looks like it will take longer I'll PM you. We're tentatively planning a BRP R&R intro game this Saturday. Ahhhh the elation of getting my post-apocalypse fix.....

:D

Also waiting with baited breath for the fixed pdf!

In the meantime, ordering the hardcopy. Saturday game went down quite well! It's definitely a hit, although my poor gaming group is overwhelmed right now since Dragon Lines and my print copy of BRP Rome all showed up at the same time as well.

Group had a fracas over a fuel depot and an oppressed village of locals being forced to engage in slave labor by some local thugs. Excellent gritty and classic Mad Max style stuff. More sessions are being planned for the future!

I am super hyped to run a post-apocalyptic BRP game. You can see how hyped I am from the thread I started at my home-town gamer website HERE <-Link!

I have downloaded reference material from every post-apocalyptic game I can find- Darwin's World, Apocalypse World, Aftermath, you name it. But the one that is most relevant has to be this one: Rubble and Ruin, since I intend to use BRP. Apparently there is some problem with the pdf. Some formatting thing, as I learned from these forums.

Here is my question (finally): How bad is the formatting on the pdf? Should I wait until Chaosium fixes it? or is it usable as-is? I'm not super picky.