RBoM Questions: Erratum, Bless Champion

svensson

I'm re-reading the Red Book of Magic and some questions have arisen for me.

There is an error in the Bless Champion spell on pg. 18... The spell description tells you what the spell conditions are [who, what, where] but it doesn't say what the spell effect is. So, what is the benefit to the Champion in question of this spell?

Second question: The spell description specifically says 'This spell blesses a worshiper of one of Ernalda's Husband-Protectors'. So worshipers of Babeester Gor, the Guardian and Avenger of the Earth, are left out?

The effects of the spell are in the final paragraph of the description:

"After the ritual, any defensive spirit or Rune magic spell that the caster casts on the target has its effects extended to last one full day or until the effects of Bless Champion end".

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, svensson said:

The spell description specifically says 'This spell blesses a worshiper of one of Ernalda's Husband-Protectors'. So worshipers of Babeester Gor, the Guardian and Avenger of the Earth, are left out?

While not explicit, I believe it is a sex-related ritual that binds the husband-protector to Ernalda through their Love passion.  Possibly you could bless Babeester Gor in that way, but mythically Babeester Gor arose from the corpse/sleeping body of Ernalda, and did not take blessings from Ernalda in that manner.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, svensson said:

Second question: The spell description specifically says 'This spell blesses a worshiper of one of Ernalda's Husband-Protectors'. So worshipers of Babeester Gor, the Guardian and Avenger of the Earth, are left out?

Correct.

Flamal will often be in, but can be a less than optimal protector, one imagines. 🙂 Not known for fighting prowess.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

While not explicit, I believe it is a sex-related ritual that binds the husband-protector to Ernalda through their Love passion.

I’m not sure I see the sex angle specifically, to be honest. I picture that it looks like The Arming of Orlanth when done for an Orlanth worshiper. Frequently your wife helping you getting kitted up for battle to protect her and the community. Orlanth wields a sword, Ernalda wields a husband or three.

11 hours ago, jajagappa said:

While not explicit, I believe it is a sex-related ritual that binds the husband-protector to Ernalda through their Love passion.

Just about everything about Ernalda and the Husband-Protectors in RQG is pretty clear on the subject: sexual consummation is not necessary to be a ritual Husband. Most of the priestesses and Husbands are open to it. Most of the time it happens. But there's no requirement for it in most Ernaldan rituals.

• Like 1