Sizing and miniatures in combat

dumok

I am learning the brp system and I would like to incorporate miniatures into the combats. My question is how would you determine things like the number of spaces something occupies, assuming we are using 1 square/hex =1meter?

I am considering using Siz/10 round to nearest meters in squares, but I would like to read your thoughts.

I'd go real world here.  A typical human being is SIZ 10 on average.  The average human is 18" from shouldertip to shouldertip.  Some humans are smaller or larger but the biggest humans (think Shaq) don't exceed 28" from shouldertip to shouldertip.  There are 39" in a meter and 36" in a yard.  I consider these to be FUNCTIONALLY IDENTICAL in wargaming (ie you can use EITHER measurement without modifications).  knowing that a typical human is only 1/2 a meter wide is only part of the story though.  We NEED space to move our limbs and even breath freely.  Thus most humans will need a full yard or meter to feel comfortable standing.  Since even the largest human won't occupy a complete meter, I'd say 1 meter per 20 SIZ (or any fraction of it) should be adequate.  This will include the space needed to "feel comfortable" (and not constrained) in that area.  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

If 1 hex is one metre and you allow two characters standing in adjacent hexes to attack each other, they'd better be using daggers. 1 metre distance (assuming they stand in the relative middle point of their hexes) is too short for longer swords and even worse for spears. c. 1.5 or even 2 metres per hex would be handier to handle, I think... Two metres is still a melee attacking distance between two combatants and it would definitely provide enough room for SIZ 20 characters as well, so no need to fiddle with that (personally, as a 6'2" fellow, 1 metre hexes would feel constrictive to me - I hate standing in doorways 😄 ).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dumok said:

I am learning the brp system and I would like to incorporate miniatures into the combats. My question is how would you determine things like the number of spaces something occupies, assuming we are using 1 square/hex =1meter?

To be honest, I don't care about that kind of thing as a GM.

If it is important, I assume that an average miniature base is 1m across and use that as a base.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Continuing from my earlier post, a 1 metre hex would be useful in some contexts. For example, in boarding battles between ships, the decks are often so crowded that using longer swords etc. is difficult. You could simulate that by making the hexes 1 metre in size and giving a negative modifier to longer weapon attacks. Basically, you could use daggers and short swords and cutlasses etc., but anything longer would be difficult to use. Similarly narrow corridors etc. constricted spaces would cause modifiers to attacks...

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2022 at 2:38 AM, dumok said:

I am considering using Siz/10 round to nearest meters in squares, but I would like to read your thoughts.

The 'industry standard' is I square of 1 inch on the tabletop (25mm) is equivalent to either 5 foot or 2m. If using this scale, you can use all the available battle maps produced by different companies.

Saying that, a large creature, e.g. troll,  with an 'action area' of around 4m, will occupy a 2x2 space on the tabletop. A Giant (looking at a D&D miniature here, right next to me) is more of a 3x3 space. 

Remember the space on the tabletop does not only include the creatures physical size but also it 'action area' where it can attack, defend and manoeuvre during combat.

Cheers,

Rob

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately Runequest was not developed as a set of miniature rules and is not at the state of the art of skirmish scale  minis rules.  Any more than D&D is even though it was developed using the Chainmsil rules.

I suggest that you will need a set of house rules to account for weapon length, zone of action, and also the shielswall option in the RQiG rules.  

I say this regardless of what the scale you use. And if you use a meter or two meter scale then what will you do when someone wants to use a shield wayll, in which the soldiers would be shoulder to shoulder?  

Edited by Squaredeal Sten