TOOLS: Dice Roller w/ Characteristics rolls

Nerun

I have coded a small program in Python to roll dice in a terminal: download script in GitHub Gist

UPDATED to version 1.6:

• added drop lowest dice and gaussian distribution for a drop lowest roll!

Need help? Type help!

help.jpg.b3930082a94f7d6dbe964f94921b8236.jpg

Let's roll some dice for a character?

2-brp.jpg.a6937943700a6078c1c5427d03cc162d.jpg

You can calculate gaussian distribution even for the weirdest dice rolls!

gauss.jpg.da634fd4f62e2f57f28e96d2cc9c9f70.jpg

Usage

Download PythonDiceRoller.py to your PC. And, if you have Python 3.9+ installed you can execute it with double-click i think. In Windows there should be an IDLE (Integrated Development and Learning Environment). Press F5 to run it. If not, use command prompt: python PythonDiceRoller.py.

In Linux (my case), Python come by default in many distros. Double click open it in IDLE, run with F5, or execute in terminal: python PythonDiceRoller.py.

Write "quit", "q", "exit", "e", or CTRL+D or CTRL+C to exit.

Edited by Nerun
Version 1.6
  • Like 1

That's cool! I've been building a dice roller plus some d100 style character and NPC creation utilities for the homebrew system I've been working on. Right now it's a bit tailored to my game, but it is parameterized (i.e., races/species, characteristics, etc.) with CSV or YAML files so that it's generic within some limits.

It's not very user friendly at the moment It's in ruby - I'm going to make a gem with the generic stuff in it so that it'll work more like a utility, like you have. I have a lot of work to do on that though... here's an example of use.

NWyMwcc.png

You can find the project here: https://gitlab.com/robertprince/sae/-/tree/master/d100

• Like 2

20 hours ago, robertp said:

That's cool! I've been building a dice roller plus some d100 style character and NPC creation utilities for the homebrew system I've been working on. Right now it's a bit tailored to my game, but it is parameterized (i.e., races/species, characteristics, etc.) with CSV or YAML files so that it's generic within some limits.

It's not very user friendly at the moment It's in ruby - I'm going to make a gem with the generic stuff in it so that it'll work more like a utility, like you have. I have a lot of work to do on that though... here's an example of use.

You can find the project here: https://gitlab.com/robertprince/sae/-/tree/master/d100

Looks great @robertp!