Establishing notability on Wikipedia

PhilHibbs

An admin on Wikipedia has flagged the Basic Roleplaying article as not having established notability of the subject matter, and thus may be considered for deletion at some point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_Role-Playing

Now I know what you're all thinking, but don't. A flood of fans all logging on and saying "It's notable, we know it, it's historically significant and great and stuff" isn't going to help. Appologies for the characterisation, I exaggerate for comic effect.

What *will* help is references to published material that states that BRP is historically significant to the hobby, and preferably which is independent of Chaosium, Games Workshop, and anyone else directly linked to the material. By this I mean reviews and historical articles in publications such as Dragon, Escapist, etc. or, even better, in mainstream publications outside the hobby. Blogs of prominent industry people like Ken Rolston are also good, even though he worked for Avalon Hill on the RQ stuff.

If you find something, then you can either navigate the maze of templates and citation rules, or just post a reply here and I'll do that bit.

My first thought was that whoever flagged it knows nothing about roleplaying other than D&D. My second thought was that both Steve Perrin and Shannon Applecline should be contacted about this. Both seem to be likely to respond. They would both have solid information about the history and prominence of BRP. Two other people who may have an abundance of citable sources for BRP are Peter Maranci and Nick Middleton. They both have high levels in their BRP Lore Skill. Actually, a lot of people on this board have a high BRP skill level (a certain Hibbs character comes to mind), so maybe someone else can weigh in on this.

I don’t really have a working knowledge of the wikipedia editing process, but I can share an excel file that someone posted listing all of the BRP articles published in Legend, White Dwarf, and Different Worlds.

Unfortunately, I don’t know how much attention Chaosium will pay to this.

70/420

Well, some would say that wikipedia is just as good a source on information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.

http://www.news.com/Study+Wikipedia+as+accurate+as+Britannica/2100-1038_3-5997332.html

Regardless, it's a well known jumping off point for a large amount of people who want information.

And the article in question seems to be fairly accurate. I wonder what the monkey who reported it was thinking.

70/420

So they would. But more than once I have had people comment on inaccuracies in various Wikipedia articles. Enough to make me take information obtained therefrom with a grain of salt. I admit that sometimes I use it when I want a general idea on something; but if I want accurate trustworthy data I look elsewhere, and I think lots of other folks do too. For sure, I don't think it's worth getting worked up over. Monkeys will be monkeys, after all.;)

I have a couple of books at home that talk generally about role-playing games and both mention Chaosium. How could they not?

I think a couple of published sources would be valuable. I will post the relevant information here when I get back to the books.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

I am shocked. They want to throw out the chapter about BRP? This wiki moderator is probably mad. I didnt know that it is even possible in Wikipedia that just one person decides if a certain wiki article is notable or not.

Since I read this thread I was a fan of wiki. But now, I am not so sure anymore.

Badcat- Good press, bad press it doesn't matter as long as they spell the name right.:D If it is found on Wikipedia people will find it. If the information is wrong then get in there and correct it.

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

You think?

I don't see any reason why I should try to correct anyone else's ignorance on a wide open pseudo-encyclopedia, though...I'm the wrong guy to throw that particular challenge at. Anyway, I plan to do demos of BRP at local stores to help get the word out, as my part. I hope everone here has similar plans, even if it is to input factual material on wikipedia about the history of rpgs. Just do something. Every little bit will help.:cool:

Hm. now there's an idea...

I don't actually have a presence at the closest game store (not intereseted in dnd or CCG, so they've got very little to interest me), but if I can get them to host the game, and I run it... or better yet, my wife runs it (she will get people in the door, even if they're then too intimidated to sit at the table "huh, huh... it's a ... a *girl*... <pant> ...with boobies and everything...")

Oh, yeah, I can be harsh on my peers...

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

Face-to-face demos are a good way to popularize BRP on a local level. But let's not dissuade others from waving the flag in other venues. I don't see a problem with reliability if fans of the system are willing to make the information reliable in the first place which seems to be what has happened so far.

Joseph Paul

Joseph Paul

"Nothing partys like a rental" explains the enduring popularity of prostitution.:eek:

Finally found my book.

Here is are a couple quote that might be useful:

"After Dungeons & Dragons, RuneQuest became the most influential fantasy role-playing game in the entire hobby." -p. 130

"...the RuneQuest system introduced many new ideas in the realms of character creation, task resolution, and combat resolution. Perrin's design went on to become both the first house system - it has been used in almost every game that Chaosium has done - and the first universal system. Eventually called Basic Role-Playing, it was used in the Worlds of Wonder multi-genre game set, published in 1982." -p. 130-131

Title: The Fantasy Role-Playing Gamer's Bible

Author: Sean Patrick Fannon

Publisher: Prima Publishing

Copyright 1996 by Sean Patrick Fannon.

ISBN: 0-7615-0264-7

Library of Congress Catalog Card Number: 95-70655

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

• 3 weeks later...

I am shocked. They want to throw out the chapter about BRP? This wiki moderator is probably mad. I didnt know that it is even possible in Wikipedia that just one person decides if a certain wiki article is notable or not.

Since I read this thread I was a fan of wiki. But now, I am not so sure anymore.

It's not an encyclopedia of roleplaying, it's a general encyclopedia. There's no reason why any particular administrator should know the first thing about roleplaying. The article had no references to back up any assertion of notability, so an admin tagged it as such. Essentially he said "I see no reliable independent evidence that this is notable - provide such evidence or it will be considered for deletion". Note the word "considered" - it means that it will be flagged for debate. Not for deletion, but for debate. No reason to get wound up at all, this is just the system working the way it is supposed to. I spotted it, and helped to sort out the situation. Job done, move on, no need to get annoyed over anything.