Banned Song of Sartar?

Ian A. Thomson

12 minutes ago, Ian Thomson said:

Hi Folks

Am I recalling correctly that there was a banned Sartarite song?

(Banned by the Lunars)

Where do I find details on it?

Thanks so much

I seem to recall that being in @Nick Brooke's domain back in the 90s.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

6 minutes ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I seem to recall that being in @Nick Brooke's domain back in the 90s.

I have just found a version here, but wonder if there is anything more official available about it. IE year of origin, Lunar rulings, penalties...

https://myth-o-logic.org/glorantha/gloranthan-fiction/folk-filk-song-poem-a-heortling-miscellany/

Edited by Ian Thomson

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

On that page, John Hughes tells you everything we know about Cold Wind Over Sartar. “Lunar rulings” and “penalties” seem to be missing the point: the “rule” is that if you sing rebel songs when the occupying regime can get its hands on you, you’re likely to be beaten up, arrested and fined (or worse). The exception that proves the rule is if you can arrange mass public defiance (like the Marseillaise scene from Casablanca). That’s why the Lunars crack down on displays of rebel sentiment, whether it’s Wind Lords wandering around in full regalia and blue paint, or plonkers with kitharas singing tedious tribal laments for coppers.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 3

34 minutes ago, Ian Thomson said:

I have just found a version here, but wonder if there is anything more official available about it. IE year of origin, Lunar rulings, penalties...

https://myth-o-logic.org/glorantha/gloranthan-fiction/folk-filk-song-poem-a-heortling-miscellany/

John Hughs, My bad! Sorry to bother you as Nick as it seems that Ian figured it out anyway. 

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

No worries. I’ve known that song since 1992, because John let David & Kevin use it in “Home of the Bold.”

The point I think Ian is missing is that the Lunars don’t have a “list of banned songs,” which you can try to wiggle around by leaving out the dodgy verses, or special pleading to the magistrates about whether the version you were singing is on the list. If you’re engaging in public pro-rebel activities, the local brute squad will always bring down the hammer. It’s what occupying regimes do.

There’s nothing special about Cold Wind Over Sartar, it’s just one of many rebel songs that’s banned, for all too obvious reasons. Rites are banned; ritual garb is banned; pro-rebel speeches are banned; pro-rebel songs are banned. Suck it up, Sartarites.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

As previously plugged, the short article about Orlanth worship under the Lunar occupation from my first Manifesto (p.40f) is well worth a read, if you want to get your head around the principles behind what gets banned. It’s all pretty obvious stuff, when you think about it: stop large bodies of armed warriors congregating across clan and tribal boundaries and getting high on the idea of righteous rebellion.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

It's called 'Cold Wind Over Sartar'.

It was in the RQ3 Sun County book, in the scenario 'Melisande's Hand'

We only have one verse that survives in the chronicles:

"What good is our youth when it's aging?,

What joy is an eye that can't see?,

When there's cool wind, laughter, and flowers,

But only our rivers run free..."

• Haha 1

At the risk of being tedious, John Hughes based it on Planxty's version of Only Our Rivers Run Free

Here it is in the Gloranthan Songbook:

Glorantha Songbook Continuum 2012 v1.00.pdf