Ancient Warfare magazine

Agentorange

Have not read these, but love ancients so I thought I would pop over and have a look. Seems like a very heavy emphasis on the iron age with the Roman Era predominating from the cover info. The oldest article I can see from the covers seems to be Macedonian...  Nope, one older, "A Multitude of Peoples: Before Rome Ruled Italy" so still iron age, but back to the 5th century BCE or so, presumably, possible older if it includes the obvious choice: The Etruscans.

ETA. Battle

Just saw an issue with an article about "The Battle Of Kadesh". This would push it back to the (very) late Bronze age (about 13 century BCE) to the Era of the Hittites and Egyptians clashing. These pre-roman era articles seem to be exceptions.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

These pre-roman era articles seem to be exceptions.

Probably more than you think, but Rome and Greece does get the focus.

I like them. The artwork is very good, the writing pretty decent; good enough that its really the only print magazines that I buy anymore with any regularity. Being on the Left Coast though, the supply is sporadic at best at the local B&N.

SDLeary

7 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Have not read these, but love ancients so I thought I would pop over and have a look. Seems like a very heavy emphasis on the iron age with the Roman Era predominating from the cover info. The oldest article I can see from the covers seems to be Macedonian...  Nope, one older, "A Multitude of Peoples: Before Rome Ruled Italy" so still iron age, but back to the 5th century BCE or so, presumably, possible older if it includes the obvious choice: The Etruscans.

ETA. Battle

Just saw an issue with an article about "The Battle Of Kadesh". This would push it back to the (very) late Bronze age (about 13 century BCE) to the Era of the Hittites and Egyptians clashing. These pre-roman era articles seem to be exceptions.

There's a drop down menu on the left when you click on the link, allows you to choose the time period you're interested in. There some older periods looked at - assyrians, hittites and Egypt mostly. Which is fair enough as there's the most evidence and data for those periods.

7 hours ago, Cloud64 said:

Not seen the magazine, but if you want to check them out they have a podcast. Search for Ancient Warfare Podcast. Over 200 eps to keep you going for a while, and give a good idea of what the mag might be like. 

Good idea, I'll be listening to a few of those 👍

1 hour ago, SDLeary said:

Probably more than you think, but Rome and Greece does get the focus.

I like them. The artwork is very good, the writing pretty decent; good enough that its really the only print magazines that I buy anymore with any regularity. Being on the Left Coast though, the supply is sporadic at best at the local B&N.

SDLeary

That's encouraging. Come next pay day I'll treat myself to some - I've already spent my geek money for this month 😃

I like them

I read them through my local library's app system (for free). If you are in the UK and your library is part of the Library consortium you can read them online or on your tablet via the Libby app.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/