Question about RQG combat: forfeiting attacks to have more/ better parries?

smiorgan

On 11/5/2022 at 2:32 AM, Arcadiagt5 said:

Thanks for the feedback all, very useful. I’ll look at bronze reinforced shields at +1 ENC (and a significantly higher prices for a further +1 HP. Might make it +2 ENC for the Large Shield version. 

Maybe just allow more and more metal, up to (and including, if anyone's so inclined) a solid metal shield weighing 15/30/50 ENC for sm/md/lg?  Just need to figure the HP/AP offered... maybe as simple as 1:1 per ENC?

• Haha 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 11/4/2022 at 11:54 AM, Arcadiagt5 said:

One house rule I use is to increase the HP of the more expensive shield types. +1 HP / cost step. So well off Orlanthi will run wooden shields at 14 HP, and that does make a difference.

There are also rules for high quality item crafting in W&E, as well as in The Book Of Doom I think. But that equally applies to swords, so doesn't change the dynamic. Except that anyone going for a quality sword is probably going to be after some other benefit than HP.

2 hours ago, PhilHibbs said:

There are also rules for high quality item crafting in W&E, as well as in The Book Of Doom I think. But that equally applies to swords, so doesn't change the dynamic. Except that anyone going for a quality sword is probably going to be after some other benefit than HP.

Agreed. Given a choice between +1 HP or +1 Damage for a high quality sword I would suggest that 90%+ will pick +1 Damage without even stopping to think. Then they’ll think about it, and pick the +1 Damage again anyway. 

6 hours ago, Arcadiagt5 said:

Agreed. Given a choice between +1 HP or +1 Damage for a high quality sword I would suggest that 90%+ will pick +1 Damage without even stopping to think. Then they’ll think about it, and pick the +1 Damage again anyway. 

Yah, getting the +1 damage over and over really trumps the static +1 HP on the defensive side.
Maybe if the rules made it 2HP for the defensive side of things?  Still thinking +1 damage is better...

C'es ne pas un .sig