What does it mean to not have Devotion (Deity)

PhilHibbs

10 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

Sometimes in the ancient and early medieval RW a priesthood could be inherited, without personal devotion.  You simply went through the motions of ritual at the required times.

There’s a reason the Church eventually cracked down with rules on celibacy, although it probably had as much to do with control of land as priestly qualities.

11 hours ago, Ali the Helering said:

Sometimes in the ancient and early medieval RW a priesthood could be inherited, without personal devotion.  You simply went through the motions of ritual at the required times.

and even if it is not "because" but an "illustration" 😉

gloranthan can be initiate in two ways :

1) because they prove their capacities (test, ..)

2) because their parents (or one of their) are already initiates

I'm pretty sure that being initiate because dad or mom is not a proof of devotion (I don't say 100% are not devoted, just a part who is here for social reason )

and in my opinion, if you are not devoted, you must have loyalty temple in this case, as they accept you because you, not because the god welcome you -in all case the gid  doesn't reject you, let the god a little part of the decision 😛 ) . That confirms the rules in some way

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

There’s a reason the Church eventually cracked down with rules on celibacy, although it probably had as much to do with control of land as priestly qualities.

It was particularly because priests were accumulating wealth and passing it on to their children.  Celibacy discouraged seeing priesthood as a road to inherited wealth