Hydra - Adventurers from the Lunar Provinces

Peter Hart

Hi

Published this on JC a few days ago.

Thanks to all who have bought a copy. One 5 star rating so far so many thanks for that.

Any feedback, comments and/or suggestions welcome!

The Lunar Provinces sit between the Lunar Heartlands in the north, Balazar in the east, Sartar and the Grazelands in the south and the Hydra Mountains and Dorastor in the west. They consist of five kingdoms: Aggar, Holay, Imther, Tarsh, and Vanch.
This book, in conjunction with the RQG main rulebook, allows players and gamemasters to create adventurers from these lands. It includes homeland passions, runes, cultural skills, family history events and regimental tables.
There are also twenty fully detailed pregenerated adventurers.
Also included are homeland maps and "Jonstown to Eneal" describing Salvatrix the Sober's meandering journey through the Lunar Provinces.
Originally designed as a supplement for the forthcoming adventure "Hydra" this book can be used independently.

Jonstown Link http://tiny.cc/nzo1vz

publicity_HAFTLP.PNG

• Like 12
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I finally had a chance to pick up this work.  It's a useful mix of character creation (primarily for those with a military background and including new background events for the Lunar Provinces), pre-generated characters (easy to use as NPCs), encounter tables and a few encounters, plus a travelogue through the Lunar Provinces.  Definitely recommend for anyone starting a game in the provinces or looking to have Lunar-oriented characters.

(It also complements my own Edge of Empire quite well, and I'll definitely drawn upon in my own newly reincarnated Imther game.) 

• Thanks 5

• 2 months later...

@Peter Hart I'm going to add this content to my character creation sheet if you don't mind (just the runes and skill percentage numbers for homelands).

I would also like to add the character background entries. Would you object to me adding summary text such as "Attended the funeral of Phargentes and beheld the Red Emperor", "Witnessed Moirades’ coronation", "Attended both Phargentes’ funeral and Moirades’ coronation" as pickable options? I asked Chaosium for permission to add this level of detail so I feel I should ask you as well.

I didn't do that for DuckPak though. I just put in some blank boxes for years that had events in DuckPak family history. I'm in two minds whether I should put the events in as pickable text for JC publications, or just blank boxes for years like 1579.

I need a short prefix for all this content - all JC stuff gets a prefix to distinguish it from any other content that might have the same name, so I have "COH Basmoli" for Children of Hykim's Basmoli, "DP Durulz" for DuckPak, etc.

What would you like me to use for this - "ALP" for Adventurers from the Lunar Provinces? "HY" or "HYD" for Hydra, in case there is more Hydra-related character creation content to come?

I think I only have one question about the numbers...

• Should Aggar really have a lower Customs skill than the normal base (20 instead of 25), and Holay a higher base (35)?
Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

thanks for this. That's great!

As an abbreviation ALP is fine. There will not be any more character generation in the main adventure. I've been contemplating a separate book - "Adventurers from the Lunar Heartlands" but may wait until the Lunar cults book comes out before working on this.

On the numbers the reason Aggar has a lower homeland lore is that it is, according to the guide the "Most wild and least controlled of the tributary kingdoms". Whereas Holay "is the most civilized of the Lunar Provinces" and includes Mirin's Cross, the capital of the provincial government. For Aggar, maybe I needed a second homeland lore reflecting familiarity with the culture and learning of the traditional highland Orlanthi too.

9 minutes ago, Peter Hart said:

For Aggar, maybe I needed a second homeland lore reflecting familiarity with the culture and learning of the traditional highland Orlanthi too.

I'll give them Aggar as their main Homeland Lore, and Lunar Provincial at the lower rate.

v1.10.1 Beta 3:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iXn3LG-M8Y49Ax62YMSidzELWiqqn96aKwKgP90-3tw

• Added Adventurers from the Lunar Provinces content (ALP) to the JC extensions (needs to be enabled on the Rules tab).
  • Changed the way that skills and runes are added up so that copying and pasting no longer breaks the formulae.

Note that where a homeland gives more than one possible rune bonus, you will be given all of them. Delete the ones that are not appropriate.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 7:48 AM, Soccercalle said:

Any news about the adventure Hydra @Peter Hart? Will that be an adventure, a campaign or a source book?

Hydra is an adventure. It's pretty much complete ... hopefully will be published fairly soon. These things always seem to take longer than you think! Thanks for your interest in this, and indeed your patience!

• Like 3
  • Helpful 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/5/2023 at 7:48 AM, Soccercalle said:

Any news about the adventure Hydra @Peter Hart? Will that be an adventure, a campaign or a source book?

It is a very detailed scenario suitable for medium to high level Adventurers. Some of the NPCs would fit into Dorastor without a problem. I loved the way the NPCs were split out into a separate booklet.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here