Sorcery Runes and Components

Sheelba

Hello all.

I am wondering how people are making use of the components rule for sorcery in RQG. 

An object made of gold might be a component for a fire rune spell and give +10%. An object made of gold inscribed with a fire rune spell (eg Finger of Fire) would be a magical component and give +20%, right? This seems quite simple. 

For spells without elemental runes it seems a bit tricky. I thought that an old needle used to sew shrouds, or embalmers tools might be used as components for the death rune. Others seem even trickier. Would you allow a crystal binding a spirit to be a component for the spirit rune? It seems fair to me. But what about, say, the truth rune? Simply having a item carved with the rune, or, an image of Lhankor Mhy seems a little too easy. Likewise, simply using vegetable matter would not, to my mind, be good enough of the plant rune. 

These are my musings. Does anyone else have ideas? Or do you disagree with mine? If so, why? I'd like to hear thoughts about this as I think it could be quite flavoursome. 

• Like 1

Some ideas:

Harmony - finely woven cloth, a small harp
Disorder - a valuable item visibly broken or ruined, a small bit of black powder
Life - a sheaf of grain, a fertility idol, a cup
Death - a weapon, bones, a raven feather
Movement - a broken chain, a wheel
Stasis - an ancient stone, an effigy of the spike, truestone
Truth - a book or scroll, a Y-shaped torch
Illusion - a gaudily decorated mirror, hand puppets, a mask
Man - a humanoid skull, a record of ancestry
Beast - an animal skull, a pelt
Plant - a flower, a potted plant
Spirit - a binding crystal, shamanic supplies
Chaos - a piece of a chaos monster, something that has done a chaotic act

I'd personally rule that you can't stack multiple mundane or magical items (though you could have one of each).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Sheelba said:

Hello all.

I am wondering how people are making use of the components rule for sorcery in RQG.

My players have used and use them extensively! The most obvious limitation being size:

• Boon of Kargan Tor (Death) - An bronze sword shaped amulet made from the sword of a defeated opponent, filled with their ashes, over inscribed with a death rune.
  • Analyse Magic (Truth) - Figurine of Lhankor Mhy made from layered vellum and painted
  • Knowledge (Truth) - glove made of Silver wire, silk mesh with jewels.
  • Translate (Truth) - Silver finger cover (Silver is associated with magic via the Moon rune)

• Like 3

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Hmm, steal the High Priest of Eurmal's holy mask? How could you suggest such a thing Godlearner? I would never do anything like that! 
Making the acquisition of such items part of the adventure as opposed to merely a visit to the shop is definitely the way forward.

That's a comprehensive list to start off with Richard S. At first I wanted to avoid simple things which could be found all around. But seeing your suggestion of a sheaf of wheat I have come round to the idea of making very different things appropriate. A still fresh ear of life-giving corn wouldn't hold it's value for long. But while it does it would be great. And maybe Life magic is harder when there is nothing growing!
Now, how can I acquire a human skull for my wizardry? 

I definitely like the way your players think, David. Your suggestions were almost disturbingly exact! I can see your party putting together their at-times macabre collection as they play. Without a doubt there is a character sheet with "bronze sword shaped amulet made from the sword of a defeated opponent, filled with their ashes, over inscribed with a death rune" written on it somewhere out there. Creepy. I like it

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming! Just three responses but each simulating in their own way. If you have something to add please do!

Edited by Sheelba
General tidying up

On 1/27/2023 at 6:16 PM, David Scott said:
  • Analyse Magic (Truth) - Figurine of Lhankor Mhy made from layered vellum and painted
  • Knowledge (Truth) - glove made of Silver wire, silk mesh with jewels.
  • Translate (Truth) - Silver finger cover (Silver is associated with magic via the Moon rune)

I'm confused... these are Rune spells, and at least in theory, wouldn't be subject to any bonuses for components (unless you're houseruling them in).

3 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

I'm confused... these are Rune spells, and at least in theory, wouldn't be subject to any bonuses for components (unless you're houseruling them in).

You are correct, i've copied them straight off the players sheet. Here are the Sorcery spells:

• Logician (Truth) - Small rolled scroll with list of lores used, tied with some woven hair of the chief priest.
  • Reveal Rune (Truth) - Staff covered in all the Runes (inlayed)
  • Solace of the Logical Mind (Truth) - Silver Kippah

I think they've got associated items for their rune spells as part of Ritual practices (but no item bonus)

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/