How Is a Sorcery Spell's Skill Percentage Determined?

Deepest_Lore

Started digging into the RQ:G rulebook a few months ago and I have a question about sorcery spells. To cast a sorcery spell the caster must master the spell's corresponding Rune(s) and Technique(s). I understand how one masters those but how is the spell % determined to roll against when casting? 

Example:

(Insert spell name) 75%

So the caster would roll 1d100 and get equal to or under 75 to cast the spell plus any manipulations and over come the targets POW or resistance if needed.

But what is determining the spells 75% of being cast? I'd assume it's the sum of the degree of mastery of the spells required Rune(s)+Technique(s). But that is just a guess since the chapter doesn't clearly list how Technique %s are derived if so. I hope this made sense. Feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong at all. 

52 minutes ago, Deepest_Lore said:

how is the spell % determined to roll against when casting?

RQG page 386: 

Each sorcery spell is a skill, and a sorcerer has a percentage chance to successfully cast it. Sorcery spells are modified by the sorcerer’s Magic skills category modifier, as well.

It's a single roll (don't forget to add any sympathetic magic modifiers and ritual bonuses). As with all magic, there may be a second POW vs POW roll needed.

52 minutes ago, Deepest_Lore said:

But what is determining the spells 75% of being cast?

A Sorcery spell's level is determined by cult and occupation when creating your adventurer (plus any experience, training or research) eg:

A philosopher (RQG 70): gets three spells starting at 00% then adds 

Occupational Skills: (Sorcery spell) +10%, (Sorcery spell) +20%, (Sorcery spell) +10%,

then if a Lhankor Mhy initiate:

Cult Sorcery: Cultists trained in sorcery start as having mastered the principles of the Truth Rune and the technique of Command (see page 381). They may add +25%, +10%, and +10% to any three spells chosen from the following list...

So you could start with three spells, one at 45%, two at 20% plus your magic bonus.

When writing down your spells, all you need to know is the magic point cost per level of manipulation

So for a Lhankor Mhy initiate who has mastered Command and Truth and knows the following spells:

• Logician 40% 2+2mp/level*
  • Reveal Rune 20% 2+1mp/level**
  • Solace of the Logical Mind 20%, 2+1mp/level**

* Summon not mastered so double cost to manipulate

** technique and rune mastered so normal cost to manipulate

Edited by Scotty
corrected copy/paste error
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Occupational Skills: (Sorcery spell) +10%, (Sorcery spell) +20%, (Sorcery spell) +10%,

then if a Lhankor Mhy initiate:

Occupational Skills: (Sorcery spell) +10%,  (Sorcery spell) +20%,  (Sorcery spell) +10%

Was this a copy-and-paste item? I'm assuming the second should be Cult Skills rather than Occupational Skills?

Perhaps also worth noting the Learning New Spells on p.390:

At the end of the training, the sorcerer has learned the spell and has a beginning percentage in the spell of 1D6 plus their Magic skills category bonus.

Edited by jajagappa
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jajagappa said:
5 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

At the end of the training, the sorcerer has learned the spell and has a beginning percentage in the spell of 1D6 plus their Magic skills category bonus.

Perhaps also worth noting the Learning New Spells on p.390:

Yes, but as noted, just for new spells, not the three already selected.

On 4/3/2023 at 4:23 PM, Scotty said:

That's a really minor nitpick, but I don't understand why the highest skill is in the middle.

• Like 1