Grappling Silliness (or, more than likely, a newb missing something)?

Alliante

Am I missing something? If a tiny halfling successfully grapples a giant robot (from a raised platform), and the halfling chooses to " Knockdown Target (Head/Chest/Abdomen): The attacker automatically overbears the target, dragging both characters prone. The target must make an Agility roll or suffer 1 point of general damage (or to a random hit location)." (p42)

How does Frodo knock down Ultraman? I understand there are some overbearing rules on page and the resistance table, but Rules as Read the robot is knocked down.

Should this be clarified?

Owner and developer of Savaged.us. Creator of the RPG Worlds project for the ORC compatible BRP system.

3 hours ago, JDGwf said:

Personally, I don't think it needs to be clarified.

I apply the Silly Test to rules:

• Is this use of the rules Silly (Y/N)?
  • Y: Do I allow Silly things to happen? (Y/N)
  •    Y: It happens as expected
  •    N: It doesn't happen because it is Silly
  • N: It doesn't happen because it is Silly
3 hours ago, JDGwf said:

How does Frodo knock down Ultraman? I understand there are some overbearing rules on page and the resistance table, but Rules as Read the robot is knocked down.

As a kid in England, I grew up watching wrestling on ITV's World of Sport. Now, this wasn't like WWF, or WWE as it is now, this was a room of screaming grannies watching grown men fight in the ring. They used to have Catchweight contests, where wrestlers of different weight categories fought. There was one wrestler called Giant Haystacks, who was a huge mountain man, and another called Kung Fu, who was a really slim chap with alleged martial art skills. They fought and Kung Fu threw Giant Haystacks using a classic wrestling move. So, that kind of thing is possible. It might also be silly. You, as the GM, should decide.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, JDGwf said:

Am I missing something? If a tiny halfling successfully grapples a giant robot (from a raised platform), and the halfling chooses to " Knockdown Target (Head/Chest/Abdomen): The attacker automatically overbears the target, dragging both characters prone. The target must make an Agility roll or suffer 1 point of general damage (or to a random hit location)." (p42)

What's Ultraman's Grapple skill? And their STR and SIZ , exactly? Because in some games, if the Halfling manages the roll, fair play to them.... 

More generally, from this "...multiple attackers can attempt to grapple a single target, though no more than two attackers can hold any one location..." I would infer that the Grapple rules as written assume "typical" humanoids (i.e. baseline SIZ of 2D6+6) being involved, and would house rule that beyond a certain multiple of SIZ, a smaller entity CANNOT meaningfully Grapple  larger - say 3 x SIZ - So a SIZ 7 Halfling CAN grapple a SIZ18 human, but NOT a SIZ 22 Troll. Probably have a reverse penalty as well (So for the Troll, trying to grapple the Halfling is hard, but for the human it's a normal roll). The exact thresholds are somewhat arbitrary, but the intent is clear, I hope.

Or, more succinctly, what Soltakss said.

• 2 weeks later...

In such cases, Mythras modifies the grappler's skill depending on the difference between both protagonists' STR+SIZ.

Spoiler

(well, Mythras uses damage bonus, but given that db depends on STR+SIZ...).

The difference between a Halfling and Ultraman would be so significant that the poor Halfling would have an effective skill less than 5...