Best CoC entry point

Nakana

I’ve played CoC a few times but never really read any of the books. I’m thinking about getting into it. It looks like there are three entry points/routes I can go:

1. 7th edition rulebook

2. 7th edition starter set

3. Deluxe classic box set  

Would anyone care to make recommendations to help me decide?

Thanks!

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

If you are confident that you'll like playing in the Mythos, I'd just go with the Keeper Rulebook + Investigator's Handbook ormeven the slipcase set (Chaosium doesn;'t know how to keep their "GM Screen Pack" products from growing into amazing collections of awesome, so it's well worth getting, and a scant premium to pay over the 2 books as purchased separately)

If you're a bit more cautious -- and hey, its Cthulhu, so who wouldn't be? -- I'd suggest #2 or #3 with some research to figure out if you like the modernizations of 7e, or prefer the old-school vibe of the Classic; each has their fans, and it's hard for US to say what YOU will like.

Edited by MOB

C'es ne pas un .sig

Thanks for the advice. I guess researching the pros and cons for each options my conclusion is 

1. complete updated system but lacking setting material and adventures. 
2. cheaper, basic rules for newer system, and decent starting material for setting/adventures but the system is incomplete (does it cover character creation or just provide pregens?)

3. Lot of setting material and adventure but older system (complete?) and outdated design. 

46 minutes ago, Nakana said:

Thanks for the advice. I guess researching the pros and cons for each options my conclusion is 

1. complete updated system but lacking setting material and adventures. 
2. cheaper, basic rules for newer system, and decent starting material for setting/adventures but the system is incomplete (does it cover character creation or just provide pregens?)

3. Lot of setting material and adventure but older system (complete?) and outdated design. 

1.  If "lack of content" is a concern -- don't be concerned.
See here:
https://www.chaosium.com/7th-edition-scenarios/

At a guess... will probably never catch up (in playing) to Chaosium's head-start (in producing) -- there's a LOT there.  If you dig into the Miskatonic Repository, you will be outpaced so swiftly your head will spin.

OTOH, that's all extra-purchase, not included in the KR/IH mainbook-duo.
On the other tentacle, however... there are two scenarios in the KH to help you launch !  And honestly, some well regarded freebies, both from Chaosium and from the vast fan-community.

2.  I don't have the Starter Set, but I'm pretty sure there's a (kind of basic) char-gen section.  The main rules are much more robust, however (q.v. "Starter Set")

3.  The older materials have been accumulating for *decades*.  So, yeah -- there's even more for CoC 1e/2e/3e/4e/5e/6e than there is for CoC7e... but some of that older stuff is out of print, and hard to get hold of.  Still plenty, of course.

I'd really go more for if you prefer the old-school vibe or the updated mechanical options.
Once you're familiar with the core "BRP" game-engine, though... all versions are pretty intercompatible.
Pick your favorite ruleset, and run  all.  of.  the.  content.  (no matter the edition).

C'es ne pas un .sig

26 minutes ago, Mark Mohrfield said:

There’s also the Quick-start book (available as free download Here). This is important because it contains the classic scenario “The Haunting.”

The QS is another good "entry point" I suppose.
And free!

Chaosium.com has a small collection of free CoC adventures, including this one.

C'es ne pas un .sig

7th Edition Starter.

A great entry point.

It's a perfect introduction to the system with great scenarios that grow in complexity. The narratives are strong and they really help you and your players learn the mechanics and engage with the storytelling.

They ease both the Keeper and the players into the game beautifully and give you a lot of playtime.

If you enjoy your journey through this set then inevitably you'll want to pick up the Keeper rulebook. If you're going to then run you own scenarios you'll probably want the Investigator handbook aswell for additional setting info. But if you prefer the published scenarios, Doorways to Darkness would be a good next step.

Best

Ema

I think the Starter Set is obviously designed for purpose. 

I wouldn’t say that the Classic Rules are an ‘outdated design’ though - just more old fashioned, I guess. I think the Classic Rules still work well enough, for what they are, and some may still prefer the simpler design without all the bells and whistles of the 7E.

Moreover, I think some of the explanations for rules in the 7E Keepers book are more convoluted than they ought to be - like rolling up Characteristics, for example, on 3D6 or 2D6+6, converting to percentiles, halving the percentiles, converting back to fifth scores and also calculating an Attribute based on the fifth score also. It is very back and forth, and new players might find themselves scratching their heads as to why it is all necessary. 

I do feel the Starter Set is better written in that regard. However, you do get more setting material with the big books.

Edited by TrippyHippy

4 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

I wouldn’t say that the Classic Rules are an ‘outdated design’ though - just more old fashioned, I guess. I think the Classic Rules still work well enough, for what they are, and some may still prefer the simpler design without all the bells and whistles of the 7E.

I meant visual layout and the way the information is presented. Newer design is more conducive to comprehension (imho).